Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jesse's Body Armor (Pic heavy)

• 82 Replies

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
Re: Jesse's Body Armor (Pic heavy)
« Reply #50 on: Oct 28, 2015, 05:29 AM »
Aaand now I drooled all over the place.  :o

Beautiful.

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:22 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the moment I have been waiting for since *looks at calendar* 2012!  :o :o

Pre-black wash, obviously. I will be adding sigils/stripes, etc and further weathering, but the first coat is put on!

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #52 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Simply gorgeous!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #53 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Simply gorgeous!

Thank you! I used the toothpaste weathering method, and I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out.
Thighs, shins, and one shoulder plate done today.

I do have a question for anybody out there who is reading this. I am planning to specialize as a medic. Do I have to be all red and white or can I have, like, one plate painted white with the medic symbol? And, can I paint this symbol on my plate before I'm officially accepted in the target brigade?

EDIT to avoid double post:
Legs and knees painted:

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018, 08:42 AM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Kiltedlion

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2018, 08:00 AM »

I do have a question for anybody out there who is reading this. I am planning to specialize as a medic. Do I have to be all red and white or can I have, like, one plate painted white with the medic symbol? And, can I paint this symbol on my plate before I'm officially accepted in the target brigade?

Yes, you can use that sigil. It is not a brigade sigil and can be used before making OM or BM. As far as color. There are no color requirements. You can use any color scheme you wish.

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2018, 08:05 AM by Kiltedlion » Logged

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #55 on: Sep 30, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Yes, you can use that sigil. It is not a brigade sigil and can be used before making OM or BM. As far as color. There are no color requirements. You can use any color scheme you wish.

Thanks, vod. Appreciate the info.

80% Test fit!

Sorry for the hair. This wasn't actually planned as a photoshoot for the greater internet.  :laugh:
Need boots, helmet, belt, etc. I'm painting my backplate now, and will be doing my gauntlets and helmet this week. I'll also be doing some blackwashing to knock the shiny new look off my plates.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #56 on: Sep 30, 2018, 10:36 PM »
Great progress :)

I like how your shoulder came out.

Mashukir Prudiise

• the laziest of potatoes
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago 15+ invasions in 2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #57 on: Oct 02, 2018, 03:24 PM »
I knew I recognized that metal....it was made right before mine!

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #58 on: Oct 02, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Kandosii, looks fantastic! Great job on the weathering

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #59 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Doing some detail work:

"Dare and Endure"

This was NOT easy.  :-\

"Dynamite comes in small packages"

Here's some work on my gauntlets as well:
Black washing complete:

Left

And some detail added to right gauntlet:

"Blood, toil, tears, and sweat"

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #60 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Back plate:
"Ni su'cuyi, gar Kyr'adyc.
Ni partaylis, gar Darasuum.
Diane Spire, Tharon Davison.
Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la (Not gone, merely marching far away)"

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #61 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Coming along great! I may have to think about adding some decal work to my own gear next year, if I can bring myself to deface colorshifting paint  :laugh:

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #62 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:08 PM »
I did some detail work on my knees today.
Here's the right:
"Bend no knee"

and the side

And the left:

and side

Also added a decal to the right chest plate. Behold the fabled Sky Chicken.  :laugh:

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #63 on: Nov 28, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Looking awesome vod.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #64 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Looking awesome vod.
Thank you!  ;D

So, I weathered my Kama. I used a combination of spray paint, bleach, actual paint applied with a kabuki brush, and real dirt. It looks lighter in the pictures than it is in real life (because of the flash), so I'll get some outside soon.

I also blackwashed my helmet.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #65 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:22 AM »
"And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds" (Probably gonna redo the letters so there is more space between the words.  :rolleyes:)

And the left side:

AAAANNDDD!! 95% wearable InflataMando!

Obviously need belt, pouches, boots, and visor for helmet. Things I'm seeing: I need to knock the shine off the body plates so they blend better with the plastic/sintra plates. Also wondering if I should extend the red stripe up onto the thigh plates to get a more cohesive look. In addition I will probably be swapping out the sash for a longer, wider version in a different color. Maybe really dark red or a teal that matches the sharkbite marks on various pieces of my kit.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2018, 12:17 PM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #66 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Tada! Visor installation complete.

Installation was a three-man job. My fiberglassing process warped the cheeks out of round, so it took my sister to hold the thing in place, me to heat, shape, and hold the visor in, and my kid brother to hold the hot glue gun.  :laugh:

I kept the upper cheeks where I wanted them like this (MacGuyver skills activated), and my sister held the bottom.

I used generous globs of hot glue (on the recommendation of several fellow Mercs) and it seems to be pretty sturdy.

Next up, padding!

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #67 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Man I'm glad to see some solid progress on this again. It's looking really good! I agree with some more color on the thighs, I like the idea of the teal but could probably bring that in one or two other places too.
I will say... While I'm a fan of writing, that's a LOT of writing on the kit... Were it me I'd tone it down to a couple plates... But hey. If you doing it at least you're doing it well. Just my two cents :)  :like:

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

theValkyrie

• "Some girls just want to be warlords..."
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #68 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Wow! Now that is a detailed back plate!
Love the quote too.
Glad to see this coming along so well, good job vod!

OM 2076 & 2076b

“The quickest way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth ribs.”

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #69 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Wow! Now that is a detailed back plate!
Love the quote too.
Glad to see this coming along so well, good job vod!

Thank you so much!

So, contrary to appearances, I have not been completely idle, just swamped with a Microsoft certification exam, a two-week Ikea contract, a business trip to Florida, and a month of cold, rainy weather!

I went ahead and put the half stripe on my thigh plates.

Also bought padding to keep my helmet from spinning around on my head. Cut it up into strips, and hot glue where desired.  ;D

I also made the switch from a green sash to a burgundy. Weathering to come later.

And here's some weapons progress (still a wip, obviously).

Not pictured here, but I also added slits in my pants for my leg plate straps.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #70 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Love the stripe on the plates (nice weathering)

Looks like good progress  :D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Looking good vod. Starting to really come together.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #72 on: Apr 04, 2019, 11:14 AM »
So, I weathered my sash.

I cut up the ends a bit and shredded them using a serrated steak knife. I also enlisted my vod'ika and his BB gun to put some interesting holes in strategic places.  :P

I also did some work on my gun:

Pre brown-wash:

Post brown-wash:

Gun loosely inspired by this guy:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #73 on: Apr 04, 2019, 08:57 PM »
You've done some amazing work! Everything looks great so far, and it's great to see how far this build has come from the beginning to this point. My only critique the now would have been blackwashing the torso a little more, but you already noted that yourself :P. The half-stripes on the thighs are an interesting touch, and with the red sash will really tie the whole kit together.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #74 on: Apr 05, 2019, 02:56 AM »
I would take some sintra to the rifle for the stock. It is (to me) very earthy.

Just keep the overall shape, but cover the obviousness of it slightly.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!