Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hereticdave's WoF Scratchbuild (Mk 2 page 4)

• 68 Replies

Ram'or Kranak

• Kranak Forward!
Re: Hereticdave's WoF Scratchbuild
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:40 PM »
^^ thats correct ^^  I go through the complete process here :  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=30112.0

I just added your thread to my favorites so I can quick-reference it later.

You guys and your builds are making me want to go out in the cool weather with all of the snow melting and put a coat of resin on one of the buckets I'm building.  I think I'll do that while I have a few minutes.  8)

Yes Ruus'alor, I do want to live forever!  Or die trying.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78573.0

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:48 AM »
Quick update, I've cut out the visor and the key slots on the back, stuck on the ear pieces and range finder and give it a quick blast of primer to find the spots that need some attention:

There isn't much clean up needed on the front, most of the air bubbles and un-even surfaces are round the back, and the more natural looking imperfections I'm leaving for the weathering process to "hide".

OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Looks good. :)

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Ram'or Kranak

• Kranak Forward!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Really nice work there!  Can't wait to see how this is going to come out.

Yes Ruus'alor, I do want to live forever!  Or die trying.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78573.0

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Some people have clone crests on their helmets, and I've seen at least one other person with a pretty extreme crest. Run it by the app team first, but that should be totally fine.

Talos Kot

• Cry Havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war !
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Some people have clone crests on their helmets, and I've seen at least one other person with a pretty extreme crest. Run it by the app team first, but that should be totally fine.

???

Svik Katora

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Oh, I just realized I missed the entire second page, I was responding to the crest thing on page one.... I feel stupid :laugh:.

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2015, 03:43 AM »
No worries, I've kinda gone off the crest idea for now. Going for a basic bucket on my first go and if I ever get round to a second bucket I'll start playing around with different ideas like a Cody style visor or a crest.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:10 AM »
No worries, I've kinda gone off the crest idea for now. Going for a basic bucket on my first go and if I ever get round to a second bucket I'll start playing around with different ideas like a Cody style visor or a crest.
I'm on helmet 6 Mando style! They are regular Mando style, phase 2 pre vizsla, ComMando, and a WOF scratchbuild thT I gave a byddy that needed a helmet. I like pepakura bSed helmets as they can be done pretty easily in a couple months.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:04 AM »
After a week or so of filling and sanding, filling and sanding, filling and sanding etc I'm at the stage where I feel like I'm filling to remove the tiniest of imperfections or rough spots, so I took the decision to hide/blend them with weathering and moved forward with the metallic coat (I'd primed it before hand the night before):

Right now I'm at a loss as to how to paint it. I know I want yellow and red, but apart from that I think it needs something to break up the vast expanse of yellow that will be the dome. If you'll excuse my paint skills:

I'm thinking some eyes on top and kill marks on the side right now (pretty standard mando stuff), not sure whether to keep the eyes as is or swap out for more recognisable Jaig eyes.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:28 AM »
you could paint both sections of the cheeks different colours to add a little variety  ;)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:46 AM »
With the eyes, before you paint them, cut out some little templates in different shapes and sizes and hold them up against the helmet. you can get an idea of what they look like and which you like best.
I think the elongated ones should work quite well.
Also, depending on how much weathering you're going for, light colours show damage very well, especially carbon scoring, and general dirt, that too could be used to break up the outline.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:46 AM »
I'm planning on a fairly dirty kit, false prime with dark red so that will show through some of the yellow and scratches, brown wash with black in some areas and weathering powders for carbon scoring and stuck in grime etc.

Edit: Was looking at some google image results of Jaig Eyes and came across Captain Rex's and shamelessly stole the idea:

you could paint both sections of the cheeks different colours to add a little variety  ;)

I quite like the idea of just the same red on the cheeks and the faceplate area, but I'd like to do a darker red on the upper cheeks Jango Style to still keep the red and have a bit of variation.

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2015, 06:19 AM by hereticdave » Logged
OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:30 PM »
If you are doing your Jaig eyes in your primer red color you could just cut the shapes of the eyes out of the masking tape and paint over them and then remove the tape to reveal the red underneath.

QMU#084

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2015, 02:42 AM »
If you are doing your Jaig eyes in your primer red color you could just cut the shapes of the eyes out of the masking tape and paint over them and then remove the tape to reveal the red underneath.

Genius! And I was going to do it the hard way  ???

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Svik Katora

« Reply #40 on: Mar 08, 2015, 01:10 AM »
I like to do it the other way around so the details are the top layer. I just lay the masking tape down om wax paper, cut out the design, then pull it off and put it where it needs to go.

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #41 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Done some painting:

Just need to do a spot of sanding (1500 grit) and add some Jaig eyes, kill marks and paint the rangefinder. As I was taking the masking off I couldn't help thinking it looks a bit like a Mc Mando  ???

Edit: I've left the Jaig Eyes and kill marks off for now as I  figured they are supposed to be earned, so I'll paint them over the yellow and leave some of the undercoat showing through etc.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2015, 04:08 AM by hereticdave » Logged
OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Sweeeeeeeeet  8) Can't wait to see it weathered.

Markonnen

• Tion'ad hukaat'kama?
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #43 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Same...make it dirty! Roll around in dirt, soot, mud, oil, tar, grit, and other such dirty things! Hehe.

Markonnen OM #1486

MMRS #007; Draluram #015;
MARS #051; AWOO #019

Svik Katora

« Reply #44 on: Mar 13, 2015, 02:52 AM »
Same...make it dirty! Roll around in dirt, soot, mud, oil, tar, grit, and other such dirty things! Hehe.
Alternatively you could just use some acrylic paints. :laugh:

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #45 on: Mar 13, 2015, 05:26 AM »
I've got some oil and acrylic paints that I'm going to use, I don't fancy the idea of throwing my helmet around on the ground after spending all this time on it. I've think I've finished painting for now though, added the Jaig eyes and kill marks last night:

And added post screws to the inside so I can install the visor:

(A quick note to all UK builders, the term chicago screw is thrown around on the forums alot, and after much searching and not finding chicago screws in the uk, I finally stumbled on post screws, which are the same thing with a proper english name  :P)

The dual stripe on the visor is to tie in with Markonnens kit, we live in the same town and known each other for years, so will most likely troop together and I figured it'd be cool if there was a similar mark on our kits.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #46 on: Mar 13, 2015, 07:04 AM »
I gave up on that idea years ago because I couldn't find chicago screws... I may have to go hunt some down now I know there English name.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #47 on: Mar 13, 2015, 07:45 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-Nickel-Binding-Screws-Binding-Posts-Interscrew-Pack-of-50-Swatches-/171712910910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fae3163e

Is where I got mine from, wasn't sure how many I would use/lose so I got a pack of 50 and split it with Anaris, I haven't tried installing the visor yet though.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #48 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Update, I've weathered the helmet. Tried some thinned acrylics and wasn't happy with how it was sitting, used oil paints instead followed by weathering powders:

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Bowfanny

« Reply #49 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Seal that thing and get a fork Ner Vod cause that puppy is done!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!