Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Full metal Scratch Build- **painted

• 21 Replies
Full metal Scratch Build- **painted
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 01:20 PM »
New to the forums! and I wanted to share my build. I work as a welder/metal fab guy so I figured what the heck, make it out of metal! 

It is all 18g stainless Steel and i only have it Tacked together.
Currently I have about an hour and a half into it.

I still need to Finnish the dome and put all the detail into it. Figure out a visor shape...full weld it. man there's a lot of work ahead.

Update: hade some time after work to spend with this bucket. So I started filling in the dome and full welded some of the seams. I'm still not sure if I should go for the traditional fett/modern visor or do something different . Suggestions?

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015, 10:57 PM by Bolvic » Logged

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Full metal Scratch Build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2015, 01:30 PM »
It looks gorgeous already vod!   8)   Super clean work.  I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Merric Dar'veyn

• D.A.S. #4 - Q.M.U. #45
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I'm a sucker for full metal builds. That's amazing, looks like you really nailed the shape of the dome which is typically the most difficult part in most (if not all builds).

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Very nicely done.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2015, 10:52 PM »
People are gonna be jealous of your bucket, vod.  That is some superb work right there!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Bacaraj be'te Kyr'tsad

• He may be No Good to you if He's Dead....
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:43 PM »
 :o Wow!  :o Just Wow! that is some amazing work Vod!

Armor Completion
-----------------------------------------------------
- Concept: 100%
- Helmet: 100%
- Hard Parts:100%
- Soft Bits: 96%
- Weapons: 80%
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Thank you Vods for the support. I finally had a free night again to work on the bucket again. Sadly the detail work takes the longest.

Can't decide on if I should put a range finder on or not.

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2015, 12:53 PM »
You sir, have some skills nicely done!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:27 PM »
More updates!

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:29 PM »
That's a neat earcap design!

QMU#084

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Looking good!

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Neat! I really like it being metal. Is it fairly heavy being stainless?

Very well done. Kandosii!

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Oh it's bondo time! I can honestly say, I missed the smell of this stuff.

Smoothing of the dome and some of the cheek. I wasn't happy with how the metal met up and it's a million times easier to fix with bondo instead of fill welding and grinding for days. Not to mention the amount of warping the heat would cause  :o

After a few hours sitting on the lazyboy with the bucket in a giant plastic bag while I sand the dome smooth. I would never have gotten through college if it wasn't for that handy trick!

Also I got my visor cut and test fit !

Time for paint!!!!!!!

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2015, 11:35 AM »
Nice 8)

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2015, 10:57 PM »

All painted up! What do you all think? Also... What's the best method for attaching the visor ? Super glue?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
Re: Full metal Scratch Build- **painted
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Nice! I like how you left the real steel on the faceplate ;D

Actually, hotglue isn't a half-bad visor attachment method. It's easily removable in case you need/want to swap visors later ;D

« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Nice! I like how you left the real steel on the faceplate ;D

Actually, hotglue isn't a half-bad visor attachment method. It's easily removable in case you need/want to swap visors later ;D

Only thing I am worried about is the from faceplate has a sight tweek in it when it warped from welding. It can be pushed back into place and I had hoped the visor attachment would solidify everything back into place. Will hot glue be strong enough?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Faceplate is steel, visor is plastic. I think the faceplate wins in a showdown :P

Hotgluing did not fix the minor warpage in my resin helmet, so I doubt it'll fix your metal one. You could try for bolts, but I don't know if it'll do any better.  Where is the misalignment on your helmet?

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:31 PM »
The right side cheek is 1/16th higher then the left...  :-\  it's easy to push into place as is with minimal force.

Bowfanny

« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2015, 12:56 PM »
I'd say since you went through the trouble to build the thing out of metal to attach Chicago screws into the interior visor area and attach the visor that way. 1/16th of an inch from 10 feet away isn't going to be that noticeable to be honest. Believe me. Once it's all together the minor is overpowered by the whole!

QMU#084
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I ended up clamping everything in place and welding a 1/8 x 1 metal bar across the bottom to hold it in place and it pressure fits the bottom of the visor in place. That fixed the slight warp from before and has the added benefit that it ads structural support in case I ever drop the thing. Then I tacked in tabs along the cheek and corners to also hold everything in place. I've I ever need to replace the visor I can slide it upwards and out.

Siting on my welding bench at work. It makes a fantastic grinding helmet haha.

crutchthecrusher

• Enjoy today there is no promise of tomorrow
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Great job vod looks really good

Ericr Huric
MMCC: 1193 
Starviper Clan.                                                            wip armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90153.0
Wip weapons http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93781.msg1369941#msg1369941
Wip Helmet http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96098.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!