Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

SkiBlue WIP - Weapons & Tools

• 8 Replies

SkiBlue1737

• I always play fair, exactly as fair as my opponent
SkiBlue WIP - Weapons & Tools
« on: Apr 25, 2016, 02:32 PM »
I've got soft parts and armor going, so how about some weapons and other equipment? This is actually one of the parts I'm most looking forward to. I've never done anything like it before, but the concept is pretty straightforward (having brought to life three 3D printers at my previous job).

The weapons and equipment I'm going to be working on here go along with my kit concept from a while back. The weapons that I'd like to build/have are as follows:
Those are the for-sure weapons. I'm trying to decide if I'd like to have a stun baton as well, but I figured the Relby and knife were good places to start. I've been looking around, and I kinda like this knife here:

Looks like Clone Wars animation, but I suddenly cannot place it. But I've been working on a pattern to cut out sintra layers at work today. Primitive, but it'll get the job done (all I had were highlighters).

Looks more like a chef's knife from here, but I'm sure with some sanding and shaping, I can streamline it better. Now, just gotta go home and start cutting...

SkiBlue1737

Re: SkiBlue WIP - Weapons & Tools
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2016, 03:48 PM »
Did some stuff today.

Traced pattern pieces on the sintra last night before capoeira class.

And just got done cutting out the pieces and gluing them together during some down-time at work.

Just have to wait to get home in order to start bondoing and sanding shaping.

Pulse

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2016, 01:02 PM »
This is really cool, gives me ideas to start making my weapons. Good job!

Mando WIPs - Armor | Helmet | Soft
Vornskr Clan | MMCC #....

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:37 PM »
Nice work vod! this is exactly  how I was planning to make my vibro blade :D just sintra on sintra. looks sharp :)

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Nice.  Great start, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Looks cool. Going to an armor party sunday and a new weapon with the same sort of build order might be right up my alley.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2016, 11:37 AM »
*Still not dead*

Thanks, guys! The concept of its construction seemed really simple to me.

The last time I worked on it, I did some sand shaping and bondo/sanding. This was my first time working with bondo, and I think I made a bit too much. I also had issues applying it in the right amounts and the right places.

The mess migrated from the cardboard to the blade. >.< But I think I got it cleaned up okay.

At a friend's suggestion, I've got myself a tube of bondo spot putty. I'm going to try using that for my next round. That same friend also had me thinking about my blasters. I still want to make a Relby, but it might be out of my practiced skill set for the time being (since finding a suitable base for it is proving to be difficult), and I'd like to be as cost effective as I can. I remembered that I have two 'nerf' Cad Bane blasters (purchased for a game of Humans vs. Zombies during college), so I'm going to be modding those to fit the blaster standards, so I can get approved, at least before Celebration Orlando.

I know the logos and text that are molded to the plastic need to be sanded down, the screw holes need to be filled in, the extra ammo slots in the handle need filling, and the movable hammer needs to be fixed in place. I was also thinking about putting in a longer, thinner barrel on them as well. They're probably not going to look anything like the real Cad Bane blasters, but that's okay. I tried taking one apart last night, to try to gut the 'air dart' insides, but it's proving to be difficult. I have the movable hammer part off and the trigger out, but the orange barrel cap does NOT want to come off at all, so I don't know if I can get the 'air dart' mechanism out. If I can make the movable pieces stationary, do I have to gut the innards? I assume gutting is absolutely necessary on blasters that have electronics in them (for lights and sounds), but this one doesn't. Just thought I would throw that question out there. I only really need one blaster, so I'm taking my time with the first one, seeing what I can do with it, and if I can fix it if I break it. And if I can't fix it, I still have the backup.

So yeah, that's how things have been going recently. I'm really hoping to step up my progress pace here. :)

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2016, 09:40 PM »
I've been working bit by bit on this kit o' mine. And I finally took some photos.

Weapons current state above. I sanded off all the logos on the blasters and gave them a good bondo/sanding session. I then read somewhere that you can add primer to help see where stuff needs work, which is why one blaster has been painted black. I used plumber's exopy/putty on the bottom of the handle, to cover up the dart holding holes. It seems to have worked well.

You might be asking yourself, why is only one blaster painted black? Well, that would be because of the damage done to the end of the barrel in my attempt to get the air dart mechanism out of it.

Ok barrel.

Damaged barrel.

I haven't decided if I want to try fixing it, but if I do, it'll probably be easier once I have the pipe or whatever for the planned barrel extender I want to put on these guys. The plumber's putty should definitely help in that regard.

The knife is covered in bondo because... I don't know what to do with it. I honestly don't like it; I feel like it came out more like a butcher's kitchen knife than a weapon of some sort. I really liked the original design for it, but holding it in my hand, I feel like I'm ready to cut up some steak instead of go out bounty hunting with it. I'll give it another session with the dremel and try to shape up the blade some more, maybe make the whole thing a little smaller, and see how that goes. There's so much sintra in the house right now though that I'm honestly not horribly opposed to starting from scratch again. The Husband's got a good deal of blades in his closet, so I might dig around there for some inspiration.

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Some progress. No photos. :(

Blasters are coming along. So much sanding. It's been suggested that instead of making extended barrels for my little blasters, I should actually go the snub-nose route and add some interesting barrel cap, like on Han Solo's blaster. The idea kind of stuck with me, so that's what I'm aiming for now. Just need to find something I can use in that manner...

Also, I think I've come up with a new knife design. I haven't drawn it yet, but I'm hoping to base it off this utility knife here, which can act as a crowbar. With the character concept being an infiltrator/thief, I thought it would be appropriate. I'm liking it much better than the butcher's knife I've got. I trimmed that thing up a bit, but I still don't like it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!