Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

SkiBlue Armor Concept

• 18 Replies

SkiBlue1737

• I always play fair, exactly as fair as my opponent
SkiBlue Armor Concept
« on: Sep 11, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I think I have a solid enough idea to start getting feedback on it.

This armor set is based off a strong character concept I've had since I was a teenager. Her Mando name would be Zamira Kelborn (as long as it's okay to use actual clan names). In a nutshell, she is an infiltrator for hire. She's much more versatile than an assassin or a saboteur. While she does take on those kinds of jobs, she's also extremely skilled at retrieval, hacking, gathering information, "relocating" goods... you get the idea. She specializes in taking on "dirty" underhanded jobs for higher class citizens of the galaxy that deal with their political games and gossip.

For the hard pieces, her armor is based off the modern style, obviously only wearing the light armament. She would add simple thigh plates, something that wouldn't impede upon her movement. I love the Night Owl/Sabine Wren style helmet; she'll be wearing Sabine style, since it seems sleeker than the Night Owl version (as long as that's allowed). For her gauntlets, they would have useful items built into them: a short range comm/sensor jammer, a small hacking system, a small grappling line, or other useful tools of the trade (ideas still forthcoming).

For the soft pieces, she would wear a close-fitting flightsuit and vest, with soft-soled boots (for quiet footsteps and ease of movement) and fabric shin wraps. She'd have a small girth/utility belt over a thin sash with a small loin cloth (she'd still wear the cod piece underneath). She can't decide between a scarf or a cowl/scarf hybrid (again, she'd still wear the back and collar pieces of the armor). Her fingers must be covered, so full gloves under the gauntlets.

For her weapons, she likes the Relby K23 blaster pistol and the Verpine Shatter as a silent weapon. She can't decide between a beskad or a stun baton for her melee, though leaning toward stun baton (I haven't seen many of those).

While she specializes in covert operations, she doesn't like all black. Her color palate would be black, gunmetal/charcoal grey, burgundy, and gold. Here is a look at the colors together:

We're still working on the paint scheme for the full armor set (yes, it's a joint effort; she's not going to wear it if she doesn't like it). I'll post pictures of some ideas when I get them finished (still working on them).

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2015, 10:56 AM by SkiBlue1737 » Logged

Mer Jayce

• Mandalorian Boot Camp
Re: 1st Armor Concept
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Really like those colors. Looking forward to seeing a sketch of what you're thinking for the rest!

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I like it.  I think it's well thought out.  Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Membership revoked due to pending felony convictions

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2015, 11:57 PM »
That looks pretty awesome.  Can't wait to see more.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2015, 10:10 AM »
Okay, I want to share the problem that I've been having with a paint/color scheme of the kit.

This is the bare bones color scheme that I was thinking. Dark gunmetal for the base soft pieces, black for smaller spots (gloves, boots, belt). The armor pieces will be made primarily of the darker burgundy color. I made some smaller pieces gold, but I was hoping to come up with an over-arching paint design for all the armor pieces. Obviously, the helmet will have a different paint design on it, since it's the Sabine-style helm (working on a photo of it atm). Another thing I was thinking: would it be allowed to have a pearlescent paint on the armor pieces? The husband made the suggestion, thinking that it might give it that sci-fi appearance of armor that was able to subtly change its color tone. Obviously, it'd be the burgundy and gold combo, but I thought it would be interesting.

The (hopefully) obvious issue that I'm having with the above set-up is this: what color do I make the added soft pieces (sash, loin cloth, shin wraps that aren't pictured yet, and scarf/cowl, represented by cape)? Honestly, I think the lighter burgundy kind of clashes with the armor pieces. If I used a light, slightly transparent fabric, it might be passable, but I'm not feeling it. I was thinking about using a black color (not quite full black) with burgundy accents. I'll try to get a photo of what that looks like when I have it done. But that's the only solution I could think of, besides gold, which I'm not sure how I feel about that either.

Hopefully, I can come up with a complete sketch here by the end of the week.

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015, 09:40 AM by SkiBlue1737 » Logged

Syper

• Mess with the bull....you get the Battle-Horn!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2015, 01:45 AM »
Looking forward to you build, love your color selection

MMCC #1021
Bearded Mando #89
IT-Mando #12
Protector Battalion #37
Syper’s WIP - SYPER's Pre-Pro 2 Build - Syper's Boba Fett Jet Pack Effect

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2015, 02:28 AM »
As far as I'm aware, a slight pearlescence should be ok. You'll want an App Team member to weigh in to be sure.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2015, 12:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm glad to hear the color selection is appealing; it was a bit of a random combination that I found trying to decide which colors to pick. They've definitely grown on me.

I discovered a solution to my own problem about the color combination. I did say she didn't like ALL black, but that doesn't mean she can't use it with the others. So the additional soft pieces will end up being black. I've got another basic color scheme with the added shin wraps on it from the Mando Maker:

I think the black fits on the soft pieces. I'm probably going to go with a soft shade of black or something, but that'll depend on the fabrics I end up finding. I've added a darker gray to several pieces, so the basic suit isn't so... bland. And here's a paint idea for the helmet:

Depending on the overall paint design I decide on, that helmet design might change, but we'll have to see. That's the ONLY thing I cannot decide on. I'm still liking the pearlescence idea. I'm also thinking about using a metallic gunmetal gray color as a base instead of a silver that would show up with the weathering.

Complete sketch is in the making...

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Okay, I've got a completed concept sketch done and inked. Since hands and feet are the hardest things for me to draw, I've left them out; I didn't think that she needed them to get the full armor concept across. >.<

I didn't add color, as I already know what colors go where (for the most part). I guess that it's a matter of details now, like the design of the vest and flightsuit, how to do the extra soft pieces, and finalizing a design for the gauntlets. I'll worry about the paint scheme when I get there.

Let me know what you guys think!

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2015, 10:29 AM »
This is looking good! I like the idea of the pearlescent paint scheme. I imagine while she's infiltrating, the armour morphs to her surrounding (similar to the octocamo from MGS4) but in between missions, when she's spending her hard-earned cash, it turns to purple and gold. I would certainly run it by a member of the apps team before painting anything, though.

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2015, 11:16 AM »
This is looking good! I like the idea of the pearlescent paint scheme. I imagine while she's infiltrating, the armour morphs to her surrounding (similar to the octocamo from MGS4) but in between missions, when she's spending her hard-earned cash, it turns to purple and gold. I would certainly run it by a member of the apps team before painting anything, though.

Metal Gear Solid is a major influence on this character concept and armor. I was about to start doing some hard research to figure out details. And that's exactly the thought I had in mind with the pearlescent paint! Even walking around normally, it would shift colors, so it gives the imagination that "oh snap, she blends in" effect. I had the idea to do a basic paint scheme and then have another set of armor on the side painted in pearlescent for fun, if it's not approvable.

Havelock

« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2015, 02:38 PM »
I cannot WAIT to see you build this!  Get on in it!   :laugh:

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Very nice, vod! I like the palette choices and the head scarf (I think that is what you're referring to) idea. It will add a lot to the look. I look forward to seeing it all put together!

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2015, 09:45 AM »
I cannot WAIT to see you build this!  Get on in it!   :laugh:

You don't have to tell me twice! :) I'm really excited to get started. Probably going to start with soft parts, as I've got a good deal of sewing experience already and have all the tools for it.

Very nice, vod! I like the palette choices and the head scarf (I think that is what you're referring to) idea. It will add a lot to the look. I look forward to seeing it all put together!

Thanks! I didn't want to go full cape, but I love the idea of a helmet cowl and LOVE scarves (Kamen Rider, red scarf of justice!), so I'm just gonna try to combine the two.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2015, 09:38 AM »
Both Eman'melo and Naas Falco have colorchanging paint, so you should be good to go ;D  I have heard that it is VERY difficult to apply properly, fyi.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

SkiBlue1737

« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Both Eman'melo and Naas Falco have colorchanging paint, so you should be good to go ;D  I have heard that it is VERY difficult to apply properly, fyi.

Oh, this is exciting! I've been doing some research on how to properly apply it, and I've already come to that conclusion. But if it can be done, I shall give it my best!

Not to fall off the map or anything, just slowly acquiring the tools of the trade in order to get started. As I'm sure plenty of people can understand not wanting to break the bank purchasing everything that you need all at once. I'm spacing out as much as possible with my current budget. I definitely need a work table, and it should be smooth sailing from there.

Will probably get a WIP thread up soon, as I've got some fabric swatches and basic soft part patterns collected to get the ball rolling.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Take as long as you need, vod, we're not going anywhere ;D

(also oops, I made a typo - correct username is Eman'nelo)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Havelock

« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Take as long as you need, vod, we're not going anywhere ;D

^^This^^   :D

SkiBlue1737

Re: SkiBlue Armor Concept
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Since I started amassing materials for my soft parts, I've decided to start that WIP thread. Pretty excited.

However, I really wanted to just share some more about this design concept. I've had this basic character concept in my head since I was a teenager, but I changed it a little to fit into the Star Wars universe. Her skill set is the same, and her job is basically the same; it's just a matter of her employer. Fitting it into the SW universe was simple enough. She is very much Royce Melborn from The Riyria Series (for anyone who's interested or has read the series). I've been trying to design a Hadrian Blackwater armor for her counterpart (basically, a strong melee fighter with a keen fight sense to be the big, noisy distraction and backup during jobs), but I keep coming up with zilch. However, my husband also wants to fit his own character concept into a Mando armor set. He's not looking to join the Mercs like I am, but he still wants to make it. [He posted a planning thread, which he's very disheartened that didn't get feedback, but I might share some of his updates, so I can help him make it look great.] He suggested that his character could be the Hadrian Blackwater counterpart, and we could make up the Star Wars Mandalorian Riyria. This sounds hilariously perfect to me, though the Mandalorian word for "two" doesn't sound as... intriguing as "Riyria" (which in the book series is the elven word for "two"). Anyone know enough Mando'a to suggest another name pair of thievy mercenaries with no reservations?

That might not have made much sense, but I can condense it down pretty easily. I'm making the sneak-thief who has a talent for going unseen and breaking into things, while my husband plans on building the brute who fights with exceptional skill. I'm just really excited about it. Having a strong concept really gets me super involved in making something like this come to life. Just thought I would share.

Sample encounter:

Zamira kneels down in front of the panel, connecting her gauntlet cable to the terminal. Albel saunters up beside her, lazily holding his rifle over his shoulder and glancing down the hallway. He sighs.

"I'll give you ten seconds before I get bored," he drawls.

Zamira shakes her head.

"And here I was going to make you wait." The door makes a faint "click" sound before whooshing open. "Brat." She raises easily and slips into the room without a sound.

Albel snorts. "Show off."

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2015, 01:58 PM by SkiBlue1737 » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!