Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flamethrowers?

• 29 Replies
Flamethrowers?
« on: Apr 26, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Just a few questions.
1. Is it legal to use a flamethrower in my costume
2. How would I go about making a wrist attached model?
3. How much would doing so cost?

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Flamethrowers?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2016, 07:10 PM »
When you say legal it makes me wonder if you want to use a functional weapon. No functional weapons of any sort are allowed on our costumes, they are grounds for being banned.

If you want to create a prop flamethrower like what Jango has then go for it.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Vod, flamethrowers aren't even legal for civilians to own, as far as I know.  For us, that's not just a "no," it's a "Hell no."

That said, I've seen Mandalorians with CO2 vent systems rigged up to their wrist and jetpack, but I'm absolutely not confident enough with air compression systems to attempt something like that, and I don't know anyone who would sell that kind of thing.  Sometimes, if you want cool stuff, you gotta learn to do it yourself.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Vod, flamethrowers aren't even legal for civilians to own, as far as I know.
supprisingly, in many states it is legal, for hunting!

Jedisalamander, OC: Meshura Ordo.

She/They

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2016, 09:03 AM »
supprisingly, in many states it is legal, for hunting!
And I ask the same question as I would for using armor piercing ammo for hunting: Why?!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Prop flamethrowers are fine.

As mentioned above, club rules prohibit any kind of functioning weapon, but you could rig something up with LEDs to give the appearance of a flamethrower.

Also, it's not that flamethrowers are explicitly legal in a lot of jurisdictions, it's that they're not illegal.  I think California and Maryland are the only states where having a flamethrower is actually against the law (but I'm not a lawyer or law enforcement officer, so don't take my word for it).

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2016, 12:11 PM »
So out of curiosity, a wrist mounted system that does blasts of CO2 is alright in this group?

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2016, 12:47 PM »
So out of curiosity, a wrist mounted system that does blasts of CO2 is alright in this group?
I'm not sure.  It could be termed to constitute a "projectile weapon," depending on your viewpoint/ adherence to the bylaws.  If you can build it, do so, as it looks outstanding for photo ops, but you might need to keep it unloaded for every event involving the public.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:05 AM »
I have toyed with the idea of building a Spaceballs: The Flamethrower using compressed air and cloth streamers painted red to give the appearance of the flames, but haven't gotten around to it.

You'd have to check with someone higher up the chain than me as to whether that would be acceptable for the club, but another thing to consider is that some venues may not want that kind of thing at their event.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 03:20 AM »
And I ask the same question as I would for using armor piercing ammo for hunting: Why?!
well I know it is off topic but the reason you use armor piercing ammo for hunting is the fact that the hide on some animals, caribou and bears for example, is so thick that you need that kind of penetration in order to kill them humanely.  but I cant speak as to why you would need a flamethrower

The true measure of some one's character can only be taken during times of great strife and danger. For its easy to be a hero when all is well with the galaxy. But when it is time to charge into no man's land and face the evils of the galaxy that is when true character shines and those of weak moral fiber can be seen for what they are.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25 AM »
  but I cant speak as to why you would need a flamethrower
Mosquitoes. Has to be mosquitoes.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Flamethrowers- kill 'em and grill 'em, all in one go.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 12:05 AM »
We do have massive mosquitoes here in Alaska...

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 11:08 PM »
a lot of cold regions use flame throwers (like the one in the thing, using gas rather than liquid as the combustible) in order to de-ice machinery such as planes and helicopters

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Regardless of their industrial, agricultural and military uses, a functional flame thrower on a costume is just a horrible idea. 

Costume could include a prop, that implies functionality, but with lights, streamers, etc.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2016, 12:03 AM »
agreed!

« Reply #16 on: Jun 01, 2016, 02:43 AM »
Had also wondered about this, even being something you could blast into the air as sort of a pyrotechnic to keep it safe.  Another thought was making a carbonite projector using silly string.

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jun 01, 2016, 07:30 AM »
You cannot have working projectiles of any type on your kit thats one of the biggest NO's here. Were already wearing armor which could potentially make some people uneasy/cautious so if were running around spraying/shooting things at them that's not good.

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

gaataylir vorpan

• ori'buyce, kih'kovid
« Reply #18 on: Jun 01, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Because the right to bear arms has nothing to do with hunting. I am a person who enjoys collecting WW2 Firearms and have thought of adding a M2 flamethrower to my collection. (they draw crowed at fair demonstrations)  ;)

ori'buyce, kih'kovid

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2016, 08:01 AM »
You want to BBQ your deer on the fly. I SAID MEDIUM RARE!

gaataylir vorpan

• ori'buyce, kih'kovid
« Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2016, 10:06 AM »
You cannot have working projectiles of any type on your kit thats one of the biggest NO's here. Were already wearing armor which could potentially make some people uneasy/cautious so if were running around spraying/shooting things at them that's not good.
I hole heartily agree. at any Con/event its not a good idea(however at a range or other designated place for such things it would be cool to see)

You want to BBQ your deer on the fly. I SAID MEDIUM RARE!
im more of a well done guy me self  ;)

ori'buyce, kih'kovid

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2016, 10:38 AM »
I hole heartily agree. at any Con/event its not a good idea(however at a range or other designated place for such things it would be cool to see)

flamethrower ranges?  :-X where?

Also I'm not believing that flamethrowers are allowed for any civilian use. #1 it would be a ridiculous fire hazard and would start a forest fire #2 I don't know who says it's legal, but they're lying.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #22 on: Jun 01, 2016, 10:45 AM »
It's legal to OWN one, but in places like Ohio, California, and Louisiana, you have to go to another state or a special area that it is authorized for use. Those are the states I know of.

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #23 on: Jun 01, 2016, 10:46 AM »
Has the initial question been answered successfully?

I think this thread may be in very real danger of derailing....

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Straka Zulu

« Reply #24 on: Jun 01, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Has the initial question been answered successfully?

I think this thread may be in very real danger of derailing....

I think it was answered on the first page

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!