Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build Concept

• 13 Replies

Ivy Fett

• I am a ball of eternal anxiety but I'm still here
First Build Concept
« on: Apr 09, 2017, 11:03 PM »
i really don't know what i'm doing but i have some concepts and i'm fully prepared to silently scream into the void as i throw myself headlong into battle

I have the beginning of a kit, too-

-but I have some questions regarding this... the knives are made of a thick foam, are those okay for weapons?
I've got some of the other things covered, too, but i would like to know about the knives before I start planning my build around them.
Thanks in advance!

Naiko Teki

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: First Build Concept
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Looks like a great armor design!

As for your weapons, foam is not an acceptable material for any part of your build and those nerf guns will have to be heavily modified before they can be accepted.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Ivy Fett

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Looks like a great armor design!

As for your weapons, foam is not an acceptable material for any part of your build and those nerf guns will have to be heavily modified before they can be accepted.
Thanks for the input! I'll have to find a different way to make the knives in my design, much appreciated. The guns have not begun their modification process yet as I'm still trying to make sure I know what I want before beginning.

Naiko Teki

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Sounds like you've got a plan. Looking forward to seeing progress  :D

If you're super attached to the shape of those knifes though, you can trace and rebuild them in sintra. They look like it wouldn't be very hard to do that.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Ivy Fett

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2017, 10:16 PM »
My vod and I just finished flight suit alterations! Sintra knives sound like a lovely idea, I'll have to see if I can find any somewhere local- the only thing I hope to have to order online is the chestplates.

Naiko Teki

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2017, 08:47 AM »
If you haven't already, try contacting your clan to see where they recommend sintra in the area. Sometimes you'll have a nice local hookup that can get you stuff for cheap or even free  :D

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Hi, I'm the ori'vod in question! We're also buying our helmets online, but waiting for the Celebration rush to die down first. We're both females under 5'5", so I found a no nobble head bucket that would pretty much work for me, but I can't find a smaller scale in nite owl anywhere. It's looking like we'll either need to ask a custom builder or risk a normal sized one. But I was going to get my bucket first, and see how it fits on both of us. Maybe normal size will be fine.

We're also considering flattened PVC for the knives for both of us, but since sintra is technically 'expanded pvc board'... We'll probably need some sintra at some point anyways.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2017, 09:33 PM »
If you're looking for a smaller scale nite owl I know that droodles is in the process of making one in various sizes. If you don't want to wait for him to be done though, you can always scratch build one to your perfect size. It's harder, but it would fit perfectly. Here's links to two people who are doing scratch builds of the nite owl (one in sintra and one pepakura) that are turning out nicely in case you need some inspiration.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=121249.0

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130156.0

As for pvc for knives, it certainly possible but I've gotta say that straight up pvc is a pain in the butt to cut. You'll need a dremel and cutting bit and a lot of patience sanding. Sintra on the other hand is a more forgiving material and is easily cut with a utility knife. I'd definitely suggest the sintra, but in the end a pvc knife would be stronger so it's your call.

droodles

• Good to GO
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Hi, I'm the ori'vod in question! We're also buying our helmets online, but waiting for the Celebration rush to die down first. We're both females under 5'5", so I found a no nobble head bucket that would pretty much work for me, but I can't find a smaller scale in nite owl anywhere. It's looking like we'll either need to ask a custom builder or risk a normal sized one. But I was going to get my bucket first, and see how it fits on both of us. Maybe normal size will be fine.

We're also considering flattened PVC for the knives for both of us, but since sintra is technically 'expanded pvc board'... We'll probably need some sintra at some point anyways.

I believe I can help if you really want a night owl!

Could I get your shoulder width and the circumference of your head (at the eyebrows)? PM is fine if you don't want everyone knowing. :P

Jenga is correct. I'm finishing up stuff on the night owl. The result is that I have a pile of 3D printed ones here as I try decide which size to take into reproduction. I may have something that will fit you, or I can just print you out a custom size if you can't wait for the molding/casting process to be complete. Since I made my own 3D model, I can scale or modify it to whatever size it needs to be.

Printing is cheap, but I'm not sure how durable a 3D printed helmet would be compared to a cast helmet, or how it would stand up to hot days.

You can see my Mando stuff here:  http://sdrv.ms/WKihMo
Email or Facebook message me if I don't respond promptly to PMs.

https://www.facebook.com/droodls

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Awesome, you're just the guy we wanted to talk to!
We finally got together again and figured out our measurements today, PMs will be headed your way!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Eternal Armories also offer a helmet called the "Owlet". Whilst it states it is for children I have seen one and have seen petite ladies easily fit into it. It advertises suitable for heads up to 21" in circumference. Just raising the point to give multiple options

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Ivy Fett

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Eternal Armories also offer a helmet called the "Owlet". Whilst it states it is for children I have seen one and have seen petite ladies easily fit into it. It advertises suitable for heads up to 21" in circumference. Just raising the point to give multiple options
Thank you! Unfortunately I'm just a tiny bit too big for that, but I appreciate the suggestion!

Naiko Teki

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2017, 09:57 PM »
There you are! Hey, post your new blades and kama starter kit. I'm sure it'll be easy to knock out as long as it's duck cloth. What else you got?

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2017, 08:51 PM »
Flattened PVC isn't too hard to cut, provided you have the right tools.  And while useful in many other aspects, a dremel is not the right tool for cutting large pieces.  In a pinch, a jig saw will do.  I use a powered scroll saw for my large pieces.  Hunt around yard sales (tis the season) for used power tools, also check second hand stores and online classifieds.

My scroll saw, jig saw and heat gun were all acquired this way and combined still cost less than my dremel.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!