Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Glasses friendly helmets?

• 7 Replies
Glasses friendly helmets?
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:32 PM »
 I'm looking to get my first bucket and I'm having trouble trying to find one that would allow me to wear my glasses underneath it. I have to wear them because I'm blind as a mynock without them. Any pointers as to where i might find one would be greatly appreciated.

For those I love I will do great and terrible things

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Glasses friendly helmets?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Depends on how big your head is really.  Tom Vader and NME both sell some buckets that are supposed to run fairly large over in the supply depot sub forum.  I didn't know anyone who had one to try it on before buying, and I have an abnormally large head (size 8.5) and wear glasses, so I wound up scratch building mine, mostly from Home Depot buckets and bondo, link to WIP in signature.

Another thing you could try is getting a cheap pair of glasses (from a site like zennioptical) or using an old pair and mounting just the ffront frames of the glasses inside the helmet behind the visor.   

Some helmets will also work if you turn your head to the side until you're past the cheeks (For some people).  Or you can find a model and 3d Print a bucket, just scale it up till it fits you. 

Important to note that it still has to be proportional with you, but I'm also broad-shouldered, so wasn't a concern.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:41 PM »
I wear a 7 3/8 hat and I'm a tank at 6'0" 245, so the helmet could be a little large. I was hoping to buy instead of build it, as work doesn't leave me much free time unfortunately.

For those I love I will do great and terrible things

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Probably the Tom Vader or the NME larges would work for you.  PM the makers and see what they say given your head measurements.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:02 PM »
I've tried on the Tom Vader ones and it fits my big head and glasses with room to spare just fyi

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:15 PM »
You could buy one of the Boba 3 piece helmets and fill the dent and glue the seams fairly cheaply and easily. As long as it’s the plastic one since I’ve seen folks get foam helmets that are the same exact thing.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:56 PM »
I have the big Juggernaut from TomVader, and it is huge. I have a really large head (rarely can find hats kind of big) and it has tons of room on the inside.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2018, 12:49 AM »
Just mind you, you don't want to go with too large a helmet for your overall figure. Helmet looks too much like a bobblehead, it'll wind up violating CRLs. I'm in the same boat though, the only of my 3 helmets that fits me at the moment is my Starbreaker, and that thing doesn't even have a kit yet  :laugh:

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!