Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ro'ush's jetpack build

• 18 Replies
Ro'ush's jetpack build
« on: May 25, 2019, 10:27 PM »
After a few invasions I felt like something was missing so I decided to begin crafting a jetpack for myself

Step 1: grab your jetpack template from this link http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-templates/

Step 2: print out the pages with the internal skeleton pieces on it. Next, cut the frame pieces out and tape them together

Step 3: trace these onto your preferred material (I used sintra) and cut it out

Note: I labeled all the sides so it would be easier for me to place the external pieces

Step 4: trace the external shell pieces. Mine are 14" long and match up width wise to the skeletal pieces.

Step 5. I used a band saw and fence to cut out the shell pieces that I had traced up to this point

Step 6. Grab the materials that will make up your fuel tanks. My center tank is 3" diameter schedule 40 pvc, my outer tanks are 1.5" diameter pool hose. And cut them to your preferred length. I made each 16" long

Step 7. I cut holes out in the top part of the frame that I'll slide the fuel tanks through

Step 8. Glue the center fuel tank to the base frame piece then slide the top frame piece on

Step 9. Start gluing the shell pieces you cut out in step 5 to the insides of the frame pieces

Heres a shot of the right side of the shell on

In retrospect I would have made the entire center frame as one piece instead of individual pieces to cut down on seams, but I'll remember that for next time

Step 10.  Bondo up all the seams

Step 11. The bondo was sanded and spot putty applied and sanded down

Step 12. I started work on the bottom caps for the fuel lines using 1 1/2" threadless pvc caps. They were too long so I used a hack saw to cut one down (I'll use a band saw for the next one)

Caps are sanded down and attached with pvc glue. Just waiting for the exhaust nozzles

Exhaust nozzles are made from the middle sections of dollar store oil funnels and attached with e6000:

Step 13. I used the top 1/2s of Easter eggs as the top covers for my fuel lines. Attached with e6000 glue

I wasnt happy with how the fuel line caps looked so I went back and used the top portions of small apple juice bottles to give them a better shape:

Step 14: the center rocket is made using a portion of a large taco bell soda cup, the top portion of a 20 oz gatorade bottle, and a large Easter egg:

Heres the almost completed jetpack, it just needs a back plate and a paint job:

Step 15. Sketched out a back plate for the jetpack and cut it out of sintra

Heres what the pack looks like with the final plate installed

Step 16. This was always intended to be used for the aerial brigade and I just added the last missing piece. An additional thruster

With this the construction of the actual jetpack is done and now its onto paint and building a harness for it

Step 17: officially in the paint booth with the primer laid down

Step 18 & 19: the gold for the fuel lines & thrusters is on. Also put on the painters tape for the accent lines

Step 20: laid down the black & pulled the tape off

This is a wip so I'll keep posting updates as more progress is made

MMcFett

• Wayii!
Re: Ro'ush's jetpack build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Good start. How's it coming along?

...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13WIPs: Helmet-Armor-Gauntlets-Weapons-Jetpack
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Good start. How's it coming along?

Thanks vod. Progress hasnt been as quick as I'd like but life gets in the way sometimes am I right

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I hear you! Took me just over a year to finish my jetpack. Going on over 3 years for my kit, still not ready for approval.

...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13WIPs: Helmet-Armor-Gauntlets-Weapons-Jetpack
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:55 PM »
I've been editing the first post with all my work. Currently in bondo purgatory

« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2019, 11:13 PM »
Out of bondo purgatory for the time being and moving onto the exhaust nozzles and missiles

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2019, 05:45 PM »
Fuel line caps are done. Still looking for things to make the exhaust nozzles & missile out of

« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2019, 12:15 AM »
More progress, my exhaust nozzles are done, my center rocket is done, just waiting to buy a new sheet of sintra to make a backplate. Then it will get a paint job

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Family events
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Nice scratchbuild, can't wait to see more of it!  :like:

« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2019, 01:01 AM »
Nice scratchbuild, can't wait to see more of it!  :like:

Thanks vod. Hopefully it looks good once the paint goes on

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Getting even closer to the end. I want to go into the aerial assault brigade so I'm going to be adding an additional thruster before I paint this up

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:20 PM »
The jetpack is done. Now to paint and build it a harness

Sizors

• OM2980
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:03 AM »
amazing work man

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2020, 05:36 AM »
Nice smooth lines there, nice scratch build, look forward to seeing some paint on it.  :like:

OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:43 PM »
Nice smooth lines there, nice scratch build, look forward to seeing some paint on it.  :like:

Thanks vod. Paint's on

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:38 PM »
That looks really good! Now to make it dirty!

« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2020, 05:33 PM »
That looks really good! Now to make it dirty!

Thank you. I dont plan to make it TOO dirty but I am studying how to apply heat burn weathering for the thrusters

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2020, 05:54 PM »
It's been a long time between updates but here we are. The jetpack is actually on ME instead of the workbench

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Fantastic! Looks great!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!