Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rayne’s The Armorer WIP - Approved

• 66 Replies

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Rayne’s The Armorer WIP
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2020, 02:55 PM »
This is so amazing  :porg2: My current favorite build thread to stalk  :<3:

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Absolutely wonderful work, so far.

I may have missed it above, but do you have a plan for adding the linear details on your boots?

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2020, 01:35 PM »
Oh that leather looks perfect for her shoulder tab-thingys!

Thank you!  I was very happy to have found it online. It works great!

Omg where did you find such great reference pics, those are fantastic and your progress is awesome :D
I love your everything. From the painted gloves to the armor progress to the boot-belties pleats :D

Thank you!  A lot of the reference photos are screen caps as I watched the episodes, others are from scouring google.

This is so amazing  :porg2: My current favorite build thread to stalk  :<3:

Thank you! 

Absolutely wonderful work, so far.

I may have missed it above, but do you have a plan for adding the linear details on your boots?

Thank you and yes, I’ve ordered the belt greeblies and toe covers from Fiernock Base Designs.  I’m waiting for them to arrive so I can finish the gaiters, skirt, and the belt. Hopefully soon  :boba:

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP
« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Looking great! Can I ask what files you used for the hammer and breastplate? Looking to start an armorer build myself.

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2020, 12:16 PM »
Looking great! Can I ask what files you used for the hammer and breastplate? Looking to start an armorer build myself.

The chest plate I bought the 3d print from do3d.com and the hammer 3d print I bought from Sionnach Studios on Etsy.

Update:
I was able to get the first layer of paint on my pieces.  I’m doing black underneath the colors to help them stand out a little better.

Had a huge setback on my chest plate, I got the black paint down and saw that the paint had drips in it  :( I tried to sand the spots, but the paint started to peel, so I had to sand off all the black paint and start over  :porg2:

I do have good news though, my hammer turned out great! I still need to weather it, but the steel paint looks great (it looks dark in the photo because the lighting where it’s drying is terrible)

Reference photos:

And the antique gold on my helmet looks great! Still needs weathering, but I think the color turned out great!

Reference photos:

I’m going to try a new weathering technique with weathering powders. To me, some of the weathering looks like charcoal dust or soot from the forge fires, so I want to give it the same dusted look. I’m going to try it on some test pieces and see how it turns out.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #30 on: Apr 10, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Your progress is look great so far! Keep up the good work :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Family events
« Reply #31 on: Apr 11, 2020, 01:46 PM »
Rayne, this looks absolutly amazing! Keep up the good work. I loved reading this WIP and seeing all this awesomeness coming together!

Rayne

« Reply #32 on: Apr 20, 2020, 03:30 PM »
Thanks you Everyone!

Another small update. Work has started to slow down, so I’ve been able to get a little painting done.  Still need to weather everything. 

Reference images:

Chest and back painted, but still need to be weathered.

No reference images for now, since I need to black wash and weather them, the red is way too bright right now.

I’m currently working on my belt.  No ones’s heard from Fiernock and they won’t respond, so I bought greeblies from Sionnach Studies.  They’ll work, but they don’t quite match the references.  And I’m going to try to 3d print the toe covers then resin/bondo them for strength.  Or 3d printer is still on the fritz, so I’m hoping I can get it to print them well enough to make them work with hopes the Fiernock will come through eventually and I won’t be out my $$$.  They had everyone send money as friends and family, so PayPal won’t let me dispute it. Live and learn, I guess.

Here is the belt currently.  I’m working on the obi wrap in the back still and need to fit it once the glue dries.

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2020, 08:33 PM by Rayne » Logged
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #33 on: Apr 26, 2020, 12:23 PM »
So cool! ;D. This all looks so awesome!

Some of my people have ordered armorer items and have faced a similar struggle with the vendor being unreachable...  I hope everyone gets what they needed and paid for...  :(

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

Rayne

« Reply #34 on: Apr 26, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Thank you! I’m pretty excited to be making progress!
I had time to black was the backplate, chest plate, tongs, and hammer

Then first layer of weathering on backplate and chest plate

Worked on my belt greeblies.  Prime red, painted black layer, and the brass on the larger greeblie

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Billythebrick

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #35 on: Apr 26, 2020, 07:16 PM »
It's all looking really great!! For what its worth, even though the belt greeble models we used have a couple of discrepancies from the references (of course we finally found better references after we'd molded, cast, and been selling a bunch of them), we did get approved with these ones so you should be good as far as that goes :) Really loving that paint job on the armor!

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props. Checkout our YouTube Channel for tutorials and build videos or our site for our portfolio, shop, and more!

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #36 on: Apr 26, 2020, 07:22 PM »
Paint is looking great!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Rayne

« Reply #37 on: Apr 28, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Thank you both! 

I received my toe covers today. Last piece I needed to finish The Armorer! Yay!   :boba:

Special thank you to Sionnach Studios for making them and getting them to me so fast! You guys are Awesome!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #38 on: Apr 28, 2020, 12:32 PM »
Looks fantastic!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

MadCelt

• Just a little man trying to stay in God's plan.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #39 on: Apr 29, 2020, 06:58 AM »
 :boba:
This looks Brilliant. Looking forward to see it all together.

Rayne

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2020, 06:41 PM »
A little progress update
Added weathering powder and clear coated chest and back plate

Reference photos:

Also added weathering powder to the hammer and tongs, then clear coated:

Reference images:

Then first nerve racking layer of weathering on the helmet.  Next layer will be darker.

And because I couldn’t help it, I’m so close to being done!  I know, it’s not attached and it’s askew, but I’m really happy with how it looks so far:

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Billythebrick

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Yes!!! ❤️ it looks so good!

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props. Checkout our YouTube Channel for tutorials and build videos or our site for our portfolio, shop, and more!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2020, 06:49 PM »
That’s looking so good!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Rayne

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Another update
I added weathering to my flightsuit, using brown fabric spray paint to make sure the weathering is consistent.  The reference photos don’t necessarily show weathering, but since the armor is weathered, the flightsuit should be too.

Reference photos:

I’m using real fur for the cape from a eco friendly source.  I found a hide that has the colors, but in different spots.  I hope it’s ok, from what I’ve read, I can’t dye this fur.

Reference photos:

Then I finished the weathering on the helmet. Made a few mistakes and had to redo spots,  it it’s finally done. How does it look?

Reference photos:

And finally it took a bit, but I think I have the shoulders figured out

Reference photos:

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 01:57 PM by Rayne » Logged
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 09:11 AM »
The weathering on the armorer is super subtle, and I think you've done a really nice job capturing that.

Have you thought about misting a light brown with your airbrush over the brighter spots on the fur cape to tone them down a little?

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Awesome work so far!  :porg2:

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

Rayne

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Thank you Shar! Great idea Mi’ix! I tried airbrush painting the fur and it turned out great! I’ll post photos when it’s completely dry.

I’m almost done! Just waiting for glue to fully cure and then it’s done  :porg2:

Belt greeblies have been weathered using weathering powder, black wash, then clear coated.  Poor lighting, but they’re drying so I didn’t want to move them.

Reference photos:

Boot spats and gaiters are done.  I added a light wash to the suede to add a little weathering.  The bands are done too, I just didn’t take a photo of them. The toe covers are painted, weathered with weathering powder, black washed, then clear coated.

Reference photos:

Installing my visor and padding inside the helmet

Oya!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Billythebrick

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Looks so amazing!!!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Looking great :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Rayne

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2020, 12:53 PM »
It’s done! A few tweaks to make, but I submitted my app  :cookie:

Reference photos:

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!