Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

True Mandalorians

• 136 Replies
True Mandalorians
« on: Sep 10, 2010, 04:59 PM »
If the title of the thread wasn't enough the purpose of this thread is discussion of the True Mandalorian and what a TM kit would consist of. I've based most of my kit so far off of the TM's. One big thing I've noticed is the gross similarities between TM's and MP's. I think one thing that would need to be established is the difference between the two and how to bring that out. This is going to be a difficult task, one good look through Open Seasons is enough to realize just how inconsistent it was. A few of the constants I noticed was; medium style armor, a mid-green color to the plates with a yellow shade to the knees and shoulders, red or yellow gauntlets, and the face is either red, yellow, or blue. For anyone who hasn't read the comic it can be found here:
http://www.nukecd.com/cayce/mandcomix/

Founder of M.A.N.T.A
Mandalorians Against Ninja Theme Armor

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
Re: True Mandalorians
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I was waiting for someone to start this!

What you described was also in the later days of the True Mandalorians after Jango had grown to late teens early twenties. In the early days, they TM's wore silver armor with teh same listed color accents.

One thing too is JP's didnt seem as prevelant with the TM's as with the MP's.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Very true. It was only Vertigo company that used them and it seemed more mission specific than anything else. The grey is a good point. I usually bring up the green simply because it was in more frames and more Mando's are pictured in it, though grey is no less a legit color. So there is something else to add to the list. I think the biggest thing right now is going to be figuring out the gauntlets, they change in nearly every single frame.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:17 PM »
I think either doing a build based upon a single drawn reference or, using straight up Jango gaunts orROTJ, ESB Boba gaunts would probably be best to represent the characters.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Jango would probably make the most sense. The only consistent part to the gaunts I have found is they have a thin strip along the bottom instead of the indention's and a blaster/ flamethrower along the top of each. That and they are red.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Jaster

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2010, 01:05 PM »
This is my Jaster Mereel kit. I've put a good bit of effort into making it as comic-accurate as possible. I've left off the yellow diamond from my chest armor, as seen in JFOS Issue 2, as I felt that the diamond, and indeed the red circles and blue rectangles were only used for specific operations. I am also not entirely happy with my holsters, as they are pretty much unmodded Jango holsters, and were not made particularly well. They made it through most of C5, but started to show serious signs of wear on day 3 (the last day I was in armor.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2010, 01:37 AM »
s I said over in the Protectors thread, I just flipped through Open Seasons again and Jango is the only one I see wiht the green armour. Everyone else is varying shades of metallic grey. But the shoulder and knee and helmet colour thing seems to be a common thread.

I rationalized it years ago as Jaster stripping the Protector green off his armour when he was kicked out, but kept the contrast colours. At first, I had a placeholder posit that his followers did the same to show solidarity with him.

After the stuff in the Clone Wars, I have retconned that to the Protectors being an unarmoured organization in line with the New Mandalorian philosophy. Jaster was of a more militant temperament, which led to his troubles. He established the True Mandalorians and took up the armour. I still say his visor frame reflects his former rank in the Protectors. Dunno what to think about the other colours. And then, as others joined they adopted the same rationale.

Perhaps the "green=duty" thing is what prompted Jango to paint the rest of his armour green. And Spar remembered that when Jango's memories awakened in him, and he perpetuated that when he re-established the Protectors.

Yeah, I probably think about this stuff too much... >_>

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2010, 08:21 AM »
Pere, you may have a screwed up copy, or possibly be color blind. They are most definitely green in the later parts. Gray in the beginning but definitely green when Jango is in control. The only gray I see is when they are in the background, the farther back they are the more gray they get.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Hondo Karr

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:10 AM »
yeah, post the rescue of jango, most had a green base.

by the battle of giladran, only jango had metallic and trimmed plates. the rest had green.

although they had different names, the appearances are so similar, it makes me wonder if TM and MP shouldn't be the same group. I mean teachnically, you have two guys standing next to each other in identical or near identical rigs. The primary difference would be one would have Jaster's kre'bes on their shoulder and the otehr would have a clan sigil on the breastplate. One would call himself a TM and the other call himself a MP.

With the silver armored and color trimmed versions of the TM's the difference is much clearer.

i wonder if they shouldn't be brought together or not?

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 11:17 AM by A'den Skirata » Logged
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Hmm, you bring up a good point. The armor is near identical, only noticeable differences seem to be the MP sash and it seems to run towards the light end of armor. We are all ready in the Canon brigade so there is that. I guess the TM's could make use of the colored shapes. Technically they were only shown in the one battle but it is a distinguishing mark.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Hondo Karr

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Yeah, it adds a level of customization. But if you look at kits like Synnr Falco and Bedlam X they clearly look MP but, run on the heavier end of armor. There really not 100% accurate to canon references of MP's or TM's but could realistically be either or just inspired by. This is where it's going to get tricky.

Id like to see what Pere, Slade and Novall think as well.

Leaving them as two seperate entities is just fine as well.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Yeah, were in the same Brigade at least. Other than that I think that's as far as we need to take it. We can spot the differences if properly distinguished, everyone else is gonna look at us like Boba variants. Green is kind of a dooming color when it comes to being unique.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Hondo Karr

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Too true.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2010, 01:19 PM »
There are ALOT of different colors of armor in Open Seasons.  Jango does wear some green armor when he is a squad leader at the battle of Korda 6. 

I've always took that to just be the colors to denote his job as a squad leader (they all seemed to have different colors) at Korda 6.

We really need to go through OS page by page and come up with what colors were used at every level.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Very much so. One thing I have noticed is the colors change based on where the character sits in the landscape. Those in the foreground are very much green, while those in the background are more gray. I think this more of an effect than anything. Similar to older cartoons where the object of focus was a brighter color. You see it in the old Scooby Doo cartoons where the book that revealed the secret door was a brighter in color.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2010, 06:45 PM »
I have Open Seasons issues 1-4 in front of me right now. Just flipped through them, and in Issue 1 pretty much every True Mandalorian is in either gunmetal or charcoal grey armor, with either red, yellow-orange, or blue shoulder bells and visor trim.

Issue 2, we see Jango in green with yellow shoulder bells and knees and red visor trim. We also see several folk, Jaster included, in the same gunmetal/charcoal. Now there are more with tri-colors (gaunts and visor trim in red, shoulders and knees in yellow--all three in yellow--red gaunts, yellow shoulders/knees and blue visor trim). The armor ranges from standard Jango medium to Boba light. In some cases, it may just be a matter of the background characters being a uniform color to make them easier to draw and to make the foreground characters pop. However, at other points there are TMs standing side-by-side with different colors.

The Battle of Galidraan, Issue 3. Once again, we see folk in both color schemes; gunmetal/charcoal and green, both with varying gaunts, visor trim, shoulders and knees in red, yellow-orange and blue. Jango appears to be the only one to have red visor trim, red shoulders and red gaunts, with everything else as gunmetal. The others all appear to have yellow shoulders and knees with red gaunts, and varying visor trim from yellow to blue. There's also one mando with gunmetal/charcoal armor, blue gaunts and visor trim with yellow shoulders; Myles, the one that gets bisected by the jedi.

Last, Issue 4, just shows Jango being captured, then put on the slave ship, then escaping to find his 'refurbished armor' all shiny and silver with blue trim.

Edit: So there are definitely more variation than the MPs; I'm inclined to leave them as separate divisions, even though there'll be some overlap between the green TMs and the MPs in general.

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 06:48 PM by Slade Kel (Marrok) » Logged
QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Tyrian_Kell

• You seem nervous...
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Since my kit is based on Boba's armor, just with different colors and a few other accessories, I assume I would fall under this category. Sound right?

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:34 AM »
True Mandalorians require specific colors and configurations that are from the "Jango Fett:  Open Seasons" comic.  Your configuration would probably be OK Tyrian, but you would need to change your colors to match a set from the comic books.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Well, I say we get the ball rolling on at least a proper color scheme. Debating will only do so much. Here's what I propose.
Plates: Medium Green or Grey
Shoulders and Knees: A Deeper Yellow color, my personal fave is Bauahaus Gold
Visor: Red, Blue, Yellow
Gauntlets: Red

A couple optional things I discussed earlier with A'den was the different color shapes on the chest plate, the yellow diamond, red square, and orangy circle. There one of those things that would help discern TM's from MP's.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Hondo Karr

« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:59 AM »
I trhink the best yellow match youre going to get is Caution Yellow which I posted in teh MP threads.

Although, before colors are truely settled on, I think we need to (although it's been done before) create a reference pic thread. Every armroed pic from OS needs to be put up for proper review.

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 10:01 AM by A'den Skirata » Logged
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2010, 12:19 PM »
http://www.nukecd.com/cayce/mandcomix/

This has all the issues of Open Seasons, the Marvel Comics (for the MP's) and such for you guys to take what ya will from.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Posted that link with my very first post.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2010, 01:25 PM »
The link is good an all, but a lot of people won't click links, or just don't notice them. A'den's got the right of it, needing a specific reference pic thread here on the boards. I can't promise anything today, but if no one else does, in the next couple of days I'll try to collect the armored shots from the first three issues and get them up here in the Canon Brigade board.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2010, 05:18 PM »
There's also the matter of scanned images displayed on monitors not necessarily having the same colour values as the original comics. As with Slade, I've got Open Seasons right here physically.

Maybe my eyes are wonky... In issue one everybody's definitely in shades of grey. But issue two sure looks almost the same -- Jaster and Montross are still definitely grey, anyway. I can maybe see Silas and the rest of Jango's squad being very faintly green-tinged grey, but nowhere near as green as Jango himself. Still looks grey to me, with Jango the only green. Issue three, now that I look more closely, is almost the reverse. Jango is in grey now, and the rest of his Mandos are in some kind of metallic greenish-grey -- but greener than his squad on Korda.

Maybe e-mail the creative team and find out what they intended?

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2010, 06:11 PM »
No'saj Huune has Open Seasons scanned into his computer already, and has offered to post up a reference thread tonight when he gets the chance. Granted, as Pere brought up, different monitors are going to show the colors slightly different, but it'll give an easy to access visual reference. Personally, I'd be inclined to say that either a dark grey or mid green (Boba-esque) should be the primary colors with the red, blue or yellow-orange (Caution Yellow, as A'den suggested) secondary colors.

The grey kits all appear to have the shoulders and visors matching, while the gauntlets and knees are the same grey as the rest of the kit. Montross, however, has blue visor, what appear to be blue knees and blue wraps or simple bracers, depending on the frame. Then there's Myles, in Issue 3, with blue visor and gaunts, but yellow shoulders and grey knees. All of the lads in green have the red gauntlets, yellow shoulders and knees and blue, red or yellow visor trim. There's even one, in issue three, that appears to have a green visor, but that could just be the artist's attempt at showing the reflection of the lightsaber that a jedi is using to slash his throat.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!