Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3d printing glues

• 6 Replies
3d printing glues
« on: May 30, 2016, 12:55 PM »
Ok, I just got a pair of aprilstorms gauntlets and knees and I was wondering how to glue the parts together. Please help

Jedisalamander, OC: Meshura Ordo.

She/They
Re: 3d printing glues
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 05:42 AM »
You need to find out what material they were printed in. That will tell you what solvents will and will not work.

this may help once they tell you the material they used: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/topic/18527-intro-to-solvent-welding-plastic/

Please not the link only has Y and N for yes and no... but not all solvents are created equal for each material, Some will give a MUCH better bond than other. It is best to do a search on the solvent via Google to see if one is recommended above another for the material your items are made of.

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Depending on the plastic, acetone works well. It melts the pieces together

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:43 AM »
its abs

She/They
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:08 PM »
If ABS, Acetone is a good choice for solvent and surface smoothing, just be carful about using too much or in areas that you do not want to change the surface texture.

If the part fails, try friction welding with some ABS rod (you can fins on Amazon) and a dremmel  http://makezine.com/projects/make-34/skill-builder-finishing-and-post-processing-your-3d-printed-objects/

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 02:42 PM »
would plastic cement work?

She/They
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Zap-A-Gap (or equivalent) Medium CA glue.

I've used it on a Clone, my wife's Bo (including AS's gauntlets), and my Airborne.  Just scuff the pieces a bit before gluing down and you'll be in good shape.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!