Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P) - Approved :D:D

• 314 Replies
Re: Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P)
« Reply #75 on: Oct 15, 2016, 12:54 PM »
I really want your Kama. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.  8)

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #76 on: Oct 15, 2016, 04:55 PM »
I really want your Kama. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.  8)

Ahah  :laugh: happy u like it vod  ;) ty so much for the interest, i'm flattered ;D

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #77 on: Oct 16, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Lighting and cut out is fine.

Paint chipping is much more realistic now. Once you get the scratching and black wash on it will look fantastic.
Another tip to push it beyond good - try and match up any big scratches or chips from one plate to the next.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ajoliveira

« Reply #78 on: Oct 17, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Update - 18-10-2016

So, i'm done with Kama and Sash:

The Sash may appear big in the dummy but actually it has +- 18 cm's  ;) and since I'm a little fat... :P :laugh:
Once I get the oportunity I will take better pics  ;)

I think I'm done with all my soft parts: Kama, Sash, Belt, Boots, Gloves  ;D (cape, hum, I wanna but get a nice colour that match and I kinda love it... :'( :laugh:)

Now, still continuing to paint few pieces:

Today also drilled my helmet and attached RF  ;D But I'm now thinking that I'm still afraid of working on it, and as the time goes by, also afraid of wraping or something like that, damm  :-X :-\

Next to go: Shnees  ;D

Regards,
AJ

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #79 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:14 AM »
Looking really good, vod.

Well done on the chipping.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Ajoliveira

« Reply #80 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Update - 20-10-2016
Hi vode,

Ty so much for the clarification Kris, very relifed now   ;)

Also many thanks Mi'ix  ;)

So, yesterday and today got a few hours to work and:

Left shoulder, will put here the European Logo  ;D

Done from scrath hand plates, since I screw the previus by painting them (learned the hard way :-X :'( :laugh:)

Primed thighs and thinking how to paint/weather/damage them  :-\

Sanded with 1000 water grit the right shoulder, few painting problems  :-X

Still thinking & learning how to apply cuts/scratches  :-[ I suppose people make scracthes with this thing over here (dont know the name of it in Eng  :P)

I think so far i'm happy with the results and didnt screw anything (more) :P :laugh:

Working with the masking fluid on the shoulders, cause they are rounded, the masking fluid started to drain way (don't know it its the correct expression) and at that moment I started to be afraid of working on my helmet, damn  :-X let's see  :-[ ???

EDIT: Flast thogut: I'm putting too much masking fluid so far?  Afraid of "overcharge it" ??? :-\

Regards,
AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016, 09:06 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #81 on: Oct 20, 2016, 08:46 AM »
The tool is called a File (Wiki link). It depends what sort of damage you want. For scratches I normally use wire wool. For 3D damage I see people use Dremels. The File would be good for applying 3D damage in certain ways but may just be too much for scratches. It will be hard to pull around and you're limited to a fixed shape/width.

If your masking fluid is running off then it is likely you are using too much. I normally do "little and often". So I am not loading up too much on my brush at any one time, but I am applying it to my brush quite often.

Between that and "dabbing" it on rather than "painting" it on you should get some improved results.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #82 on: Oct 20, 2016, 10:16 AM »
I use several grits of sand paper and wet and dry paper, files as you have there, occasionally a rasp (bigger file usually used for wood), dremel with engraving bits, wire wool and when working on metal I'll grab the door key too.

As Hi'kaari said, little and often with masking fluid. I'll use it like paint at edges that I want weathered heavily - example - like the outer edge of shoulders which would knock against every wall and door. But centre of the plates I use very little and just put it on in thin layers a bit at a time.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ajoliveira

« Reply #83 on: Oct 20, 2016, 09:14 PM »
Hum got it, ty so much  ;D

Will do a few tries in the next days  ;)

Hum, today tried to put in the hand armor killer strips and the result:

Oh men, i wanna kill myself  :( i know its a learning process but for the, what, 5th time? damn  :'( :(
Will figured out how to fix this, maybe paint over it... :(
This is why I'm afraid and not confident to paint my helmet  :( really desappointed  :( damn  :(

AJ

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #84 on: Oct 21, 2016, 02:47 AM »
It looks like your paint is going on very thick, are you spraying for quite a long time? You would likely get better results from thinner layers but 1-2 of them.

When the paint is thick like that i find the underlayer portion doesn't actually dry and when you come to rub the masking fluid off you also pull off paint where it hasn't dried and adhered.

What was your technique for the stripes? Did you leave the masking tape on whilst the paint was drying?
I tend to mask up, paint and then immediately remove the masking tape and let the paint dry. It will drop the paint having the chance of seeping under the tape and "bleeding". Again though you need to have thinner paint layers too for that

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #85 on: Oct 21, 2016, 03:04 AM »
It looks like your paint is going on very thick, are you spraying for quite a long time? You would likely get better results from thinner layers but 1-2 of them.

When the paint is thick like that i find the underlayer portion doesn't actually dry and when you come to rub the masking fluid off you also pull off paint where it hasn't dried and adhered.

What was your technique for the stripes? Did you leave the masking tape on whilst the paint was drying?
I tend to mask up, paint and then immediately remove the masking tape and let the paint dry. It will drop the paint having the chance of seeping under the tape and "bleeding". Again though you need to have thinner paint layers too for that

Agreed.
Be sure to try painting on a piece of scrap thinner layers, with a bit of distance. Looks to me like you are painting from a close distance. Try to re-do the stripes again from a bit more distance and just as Hik'aari said, thinner layers, about 3-4 to allow the colour to pop up.

Keep up the good progress vod.

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #86 on: Oct 24, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Hi guys,  ;D

Well, I saw your replies on that same day, but I was felling so disapoited, p*ssed, sh*ty, really down that I was not able to  think or said anything  :( :'(

I took a "day off" to re-think and clear my head and in fact I have done a few mistakes:

1 - Used different paint brand (damn, u know what could happen and still u used it -> bang your head against a wall)
2 - This little things are for last ( why tha hell u do it, u are still painting & primer stuff)

Hik'aari, hum I think i spraid sereval times, but i dont remenber if the painters tape was still there or if i removed imediatly but I think i let the painters tape there, drying..:-\

Nevertheless, I was skiping steps, this things, kill strips, strips, whatever, are final things...

Update - 24-10-2016

As usual, despite of being more busy than usual, I keep primer & paiting and today done this:

So far, any thougths, concerns, opinions,...?  ??? :-[

Regards,
AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016, 09:31 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #87 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:32 AM »
No concerns here. The shoulders look brilliant so far.

I wish I still had pictures of my first paint fails then you could see you're not alone in having to try things several times. Still happens even now - I just had a commission job going well, perfect paint, except on the ab and I had to strip just that part and start again.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #88 on: Oct 26, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Hum ty so much Kris  ;) uh, that sucks  :(

I've learned the hard way, but Ashen Kelborn pointed me the right direction  :-[  if not, today was the day I'm paiting leopard armor lol  :laugh: still making mistakes but... ;D

Update - 26-10-2016

Today got left chest finished:

A few close up:

And so far:

I've planned finish upper armor today but run out of spray  >:( :(

I've tried to rotate image on the phone and on computer, still Imgur post it like it is...  :-\

AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2016, 06:19 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

NukemLuke

• To light a candle is to cast a shadow.
« Reply #89 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Looks really good so far! I must say, that battle damage looks amazing. Has that 3D look to it, you've given me some ideas  ;).

As for the sideways picture, from my understanding it might be that the Picture's file is to big to be viewed as a right side up. Not 100% sure though, could just be a glitch in the matrix.

Really nice kit, can't wait to it finished. :P

"There are no mistakes in life, only lessons... Let this be a lesson."

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=119691.0 (WIP)

Ajoliveira

« Reply #90 on: Oct 27, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Hi NukemLuke, ty so much for the kind reply  ;)

So, time to a little update:

Update - 28-10-2016

After yesterday run out of spray, today I drived 45 Km to get 2x Dark Grey and 1x White matte lol  >:( :laugh:
Now, I shall continue my painting work  :P

As I said before, I'm done with Kama + Sash Belt, but here are fresh new (best) pics:  :laugh:

I've "wrapped" (dont know if its the right word, damn lol) the fabric and sew it on the inside, them velcro sewed in the back

Make a "improved" belt on the kama and also sewed velcro and only today I realized that is a 2-way Kama (white on outside, blue inside or blue outside, white inside  :laugh: :laugh:) But i'm going for white on outside, blue inside  ;) think its too much blue loool  :P

Kinda a creepy photos, my vest is a bit (A LOT :laugh:) "crooked" (its the expression? by google translate lol, I wanna mean is not fully correct, kinda twisted lol) but now get a better point of view of my current building  :-[ ;D how it looks? Sash and Kama? Are they ok/good like it is? Any feed-back will be happy  ;D

Meanwhile I will re-start painting tomorrow  ;D

Ty all  ;D
AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2016, 08:02 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #91 on: Oct 27, 2016, 07:47 PM »
This is just my point of view, but you may want to trim the top of the ab plate a bit, looks a little tight. *Please get a second opinion on this though* looking great!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #92 on: Oct 27, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Hi Kol, how are u m8?  ;D

Sorry I forget to mention, since I've been painting last couple of days, I kinda attached the plates at hurry, didnt go for the "inch between plates/diamond, etc"  :-[ ;)

Still, I've planned in the next 2/3/4 days paint all upper armor and then attach them properly  ;)

EDIT: This pic above was taken 10-10-2016, before started working on sash & painting upper armor  ;)

Still need to trim it or its ok like it is vod?  ;D

2nd EDIT LOL: Please ignore the plate that is not primed  :P I need to shape it better at the bottom or in last case, build one another time  >:( :P

AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2016, 08:14 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #93 on: Oct 28, 2016, 12:05 AM »

Still need to trim it or its ok like it is vod?  ;D

For the record, I am far from being the go-to on CRLs and spacing. Ask my multiple pre-apps  :laugh: it seems okay, more down to spacing and placement if anything. I think once you get the placement down, you'll be golden. Little tough to tell with the collar/chest plates. I wasn't sure how permanent the plate attachment was and wanted to spare you headache down the road.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #94 on: Oct 28, 2016, 12:42 PM »
Spacing is fine - hastily put onto velcro I think, as I know it was fine earlier when you showed plate spacing.

Kama is nice - you sew better than I do.

The sash also looks good - I'd try and wear it a little higher if possible - I have a couple of snaps (but I know velcro works just as well) to keep my sash where I want it to be. And I think you were going for something like 'folded and internally hemmed' the fabric, but I knew what you meant :)

And lol, yes, the vest is definitely crooked. That word fits perfectly.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #95 on: Oct 28, 2016, 09:01 PM »
Hi Kris  ;D

Hum, got it, will wear it higher  ;)

Yap lol that  :P

Hum, time to more one little update...  :P

Update - 29-10-2016

So, today continue to painting my armor and today got belly plate done:

And the overall from the upper armor:

Well, to be honest, I think i'm not 100% happy with the result of the belly plate, I now think I could done better in a few spots  ??? :-\
But since I plan apply some scracth and/or cuts, might those "undercover" the few spots i didnt like it 100% lol  ??? :laugh:

Side Note: Been thinking lately about all this, weathring, damage, cuts, scracthes and so on, and:

1 - I'm afraid I've applied too much and the lower parts, kinda didnt "match" the upper armor   ???
2 - I know that all this must be randon but making sense, but lower parts, like tights or shnees (in my case :laugh:) should/must be more damage than the upper armor?  ??? Since I'm going 4 sniper, the laying down position and so on, should/must have more scracthes than the upper armor, the weathring must be higher than the upper armor,...?  ??? :-\
3 - Uh, or maybe I'm getting my head fried and to blow up with so much thinking and started to making non-sense about this  ??? :-X :laugh:

Still rotated the pics on PC and at Imgur, still they are sideways, oh Imgur, Imgur... >:( :laugh: :laugh:

AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2016, 09:06 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Ashen Kelborn

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din - Family is more than Blood
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #96 on: Oct 29, 2016, 04:04 AM »
Sniper that fires from a laying down position would in theory have more on the lower part of the body as you have done, as the upper torso would be supported to take aim or so can see while crawling.
when you come to the sand paper scratches lightly do the upper section and more aggressive the belly, thighs, bottom of gauntlets and tops of shins.
Basically put yourself  in a crawl position with your rifle/standin rifle and look at what is in contact with the ground ;)

Very little to nothing on your back unless you want to simulate holding back to a wall for a time, soon to take a quick shot around it.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2016, 03:48 AM by Ashen Kelborn » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #97 on: Oct 29, 2016, 08:28 AM »
For a sniper - as Ashen said - more weathering on the lower plates is fine - just make sure that the weathering on the lower soft parts matches the armour and the upper soft part weathering matches the upper armour.

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Airmobile brigade member 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #98 on: Oct 29, 2016, 10:34 AM »
For my sash belt, I had issues with it sliding down throughout the day. So we put some velcro on the front of my vest and back of the sash to hold it in place. Worked a lot better.

Brigades # 253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (1/18/18 1st approved)
Brigades # 310 - Striker Division / Special Operations / Privateer (10/16/19)
Brigades # 356 - Vanguard Division / Airmobile / Pilot (12/21/20)
Brigades # 361 - Striker / Field Ops Divisions // Special Operations / Environmental Specialist // Sniper / Arctic Operations (2/3/21)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!