Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

So You're Going to Build a Mando!

• 102 Replies

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
So You're Going to Build a Mando!
« on: Jul 12, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Glad to hear you're interested in making armor!

To get the most out of the boards here and feedback from other members online, follow these guidelines:

First thing's first, you'll want to make a thread in Armor Planning outlining the armor style, paint scheme, and other details about how you want your armor to be. Include some drawings, sketches, or screenshots from the MandoMaker program.

Once you've got your concept finalized, it's time to get working on the various elements of your costume.

It's at this point you should be finished with the planning thread, and move to your Work In Progress thread(s).

Remember, you don't have to follow any particular order of which items to work on when.
If you don't want to create in depth threads for each part of your kit, put it in the Armor Components section as the majority of your work shown will likely be on the armor itself.
Anything you have questions and want advice specifically though, set up a thread in that section.

The App Team has developed a comprehensive guide to helmets, located here.

WIP Sections:
Helmets
Armor Components
Equipment & Accessories
Soft Parts
Alternative Eras/Canon Characters
Official Members - Finished Armor

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2014, 02:42 AM by Thaxos » Logged
Re: So You're Going to Build a Mando!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Awesome thanks. Ill try and start working on the plan. I kind of have an idea, and will probably try a pilot. I have looked at some pics and think I might have an idea of how I want to go.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:39 PM »

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Is there a MandoMaker for if you are planning to make a crusader kit?

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:36 AM »
Is there a MandoMaker for if you are planning to make a crusader kit?

No, it was only made for Modern era.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:57 PM »
http://mandalorianmercs.org/downloadables/MANDOMAKER23.swf

I think that I have figured out my color scheme using this one. Is there a way to save the images with out doing a screen shot?

Venkuu Mereel

• manda'yaim cuyir darasuum
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Sadly, no

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:55 PM »
Looking to get with someone to go over options with pics of early Mando custume in my area (ColoradoSprings,CO.) . To see what it options I can do for the helmet or mask.  :)

War_Wolf5903

• Semper fide vigilantes et verum Mandalore
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2014, 03:12 AM »
I think that I have figured out my color scheme using this one. Is there a way to save the images with out doing a screen shot?

Yeah sadly I found that out too, but what I did was screen shot, paste it into paint, do some cropping then set it to where its just the designs showing. It was quite helpful, both the mandomakers. Thanks folks!

Semper fide vigilantes et verum Mandalore

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Remember when posting here: This is the Armor Planning section. We want to see your plans/designs/drawings and ideas on your plan on how you are going to build your Mandalorian armor.

If you have a specific question about items like armor material, paint or a specific type of armor there are better places for those questions! Please do not post a thread just to ask a question that is better suited elsewhere.

For questions about materials and certain pieces of armor - ARMOR COMPONENTS

Fro questions about Different armor Eras - ALTERNATIVE ERA ARMOR

For questions about Flightsuits, vests, boots, pouches - SOFT PARTS

For questions about weapons - WEAPONS ARMORY

For questions about Helmets - HELMETS

Mandoade97

• And Death follows the Mandalorians
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2014, 11:04 PM »
I'm planning to make a Jango Fett type armor out of sheet metal and I was wondering if you or any other more experienced members had any knowledge of how to accomplish said task. Vode an.

Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome.
Sa kyr'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

Thaxos

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2014, 11:39 PM »
Your best bet is to use the search feature to locate some metal build threads and see how they do it.

« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2015, 12:12 PM »
can someone direct me to a source for the film for the T slot in a hel ..No one seems to have or know where. It is one of the last things to finish up.  We live just south of Dallas Texas.
Thanks for any help

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:25 PM »
t-visors.com is going to be the easiest source, they sell pre-cut and curved t-visors.  You can also try a welding shield that you'll have to cut and probably have to curve to the right shape.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:14 PM »
thanks . looking them up now
2nd question
  I have a pair of above the knee Ren boots . Since these boots do not have laces will spats still be needed?
3rd. question. Very close to finishing a medic set up. If i did not read wrong a hel was not needed unless you were doing a Mando medic as well , then all armor requirments. ( having trouble with the cheek pices)
thanks

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:44 AM »
Would have to see the ren boots to let you know if they would work.  However you do need knee armor on any mando so be aware the knee armor would have to strap onto/over the boots if they come above the knee. 

As for the Medic set up....not 100% I'm sure i'm following your question, but if you're asking if you need a helmet then yes.  The brigades are a supplementary set of requirements for the basic Mando CRLs.  You have to be an approved member before you can apply for the brigades.  The BRLs (Brigade Requirement Lists) detail what you need in addition to the basic approval costume.  The MMCC is a Mando Costuming club, we don't do anything that isn't Mando. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2015, 05:53 AM »
thanks..thats what i thought. just makeing sure

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2015, 12:20 AM »
i was wondering if i could use a tactical belt instead of a leather one

Jorad Werde

« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2015, 12:26 AM »
post a pic of what you are talking about.  I have a nylon web belt (basically a tool belt) as my belt. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:41 AM »
i was wondering if i could use a tactical belt instead of a leather one

People do, as long as it not in a Moden Camo pattern, But Leather looks more Swars in my opinion 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:27 PM »
what material can i use to make my mando armor?

Oroka Thane

Ryuk Shai

• I enjoy the simple things in life. Guns.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2015, 12:02 PM »
what material can i use to make my mando armor?
multiple ones such as: steel, plastic, plaster, carbon fiber, etc....

"Jedi are probably my favorite bounty to hunt cause they take it so honorably "-Ryuk Shai

Bal kote, darasuum kote, Jorso 'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr 'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an.
(And glory, eternal glory, We shall bear its weight together. Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers all.)
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2015, 02:55 PM »
ok can I use like a t-shirt to put my armor pieces on together.

Oroka Thane

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2015, 03:58 PM »
ok can I use like a t-shirt to put my armor pieces on together.

Per the CRL's;

◦Armor/flak vest must be worn under armor plates.
◦T-shirt vests are NOT acceptable as armor vests.

Membership revoked due to pending felony convictions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!