Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Primary Color Choice

Leave Silver (Bare Metal), Claim Ultrachrome
4 (44.4%)
Artificially Rust
1 (11.1%)
Red Oxide Paint (Rust-Colored Orange)
4 (44.4%)
Orange-and-Silver simple design
0 (0%)
Other (Please Describe Your Idea!)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Bjourk's First Build WIP

• 29 Replies

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
Bjourk's First Build WIP
« on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:10 AM »
My Introduction Thread
Hello everyone!  Items are starting to show up, so I'm starting my work-in-progress build thread.  Constructive criticism is welcome!

Here's the general look I'm going for, courtesy of Zammap's Mando Maker:

Dark Hunter Green and Leather soft parts and Dark Rust main armor colors are intended to fade away from your attention and bring out the bright Aqua/Teal of the armor accents.

While I work on my helmet build I'm toying with the idea of a sun visor or interchangeable ears.
The kit will be outfitted with dual blaster pistols in cross-draw shoulder holsters, dual vibro-knives, a rifle of some kind, and eventually various other gadgets.
Jetpack and gauntlets are considerations for the future.
The cape is a replica of the Mandalorian Flag flying above Maz Kanata's castle on Takodana in TFA:

Helmet WIP Link
Weapons WIP Link

<<   Gear Checklist   >>
  • Armor - Full Steel Modern Kit from K'raam Xrati. Needs to be spaced and weathered.
  • Belt - Classic Fett Ammo Belt from eBay
  • Boots - Leather Laceless Loafers from eBay (may upgrade to motorcycle boots) Vintage Engineer Boots from eBay
  • Blaster Pistol Pair with Dual Shoulder Holsters - Dual Blaster Pistols: Second-hand toy pistols highly modified (supplies from eBay)
  • Blaster Rifle - Blaster Rifle: Second-hand toy rifle highly modified (supplies from eBay)
  • Cape - Custom Mandalorian Flag Cape from Sidi Ren
  • Flightsuit - Dark Green USAF Flight Suit from eBay, custom tailored.
  • Gauntlets - Acacin Armouries Custom Assassin Style from Ferahgo (flamethrower tubing needs a home)
  • Grenades - Impact and Frag from Helix
  • Gloves - Rey Style from eBay (same seller as belt) Backup: Airsoft Armor Style from eBay
  • Helmet - Sheet Metal Build from modified WOF Template with modular ear pieces.
  • Helmet mic/PA and Cooling System - Links somewhere... visor fogs in seconds.
  • Jetpack/Backpack - Considering building Arena Pack from Template Scratch-built custom scout pack
  • Trophies and Trinkets - Scratch-Built Saber Hilts, Region Coins from Tor-dola Magnus, padawan braids and crystals from IP Props, wookie braids from Rancor, etc.
  • Vest - Custom-made with built-in Neck Seal from K'raam Xrati
  • Vibro-Daggers with Sheath - Daggers from Helix, Sheath from Russiya
  • Visor (Sun Visor) - Considering Scratch-build from sheet metal or modified MX visor, interchangeable.
  • Visor (Viewport) - Grinding shield from US Welding. Vvivid brand Mirror Tint obtained from eBay.
Gear Color Key:
Not Obtained
In Progress
Obtained But Subject to Change
Obtained and Completed

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2016, 02:23 AM by Bjourk » Logged
Bjourk's All-Steel Build WIP - (Helmet build link on the jump)

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
Re: Bjourk's First Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:15 AM »
Shopping Spree:

First shipment of items showed up plus grabbed some essentials from local superstore

Getting ahead of myself with paints

eBay Special - Classic Boba Belt

These may not make it to the final build - have to see how they fit with the rest of the costume.  Comfy though!

A teaser for my helmet build:

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 08:54 AM by Bjourk » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:40 AM »
Looks like you're off to a great start, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2016, 02:46 AM »
Thanks, my friend.  Updated OP with links to helmet and weapons WIPs!

Looks like you're off to a great start, vod.

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2016, 11:16 PM »
Big update!  A very much anticipated package showed up today from K'raam Xrati; my full set of steel armor!

I was able to mock up most of the kit with what I've acquired and I have to give K'raam Xrati major props for both timeliness and the excellent quality of his craftsmanship.
The build is now mostly waiting on me for helmet and weapons.

Verco Nuhla

• Proud Proprietor of the Rusty Kyr'bes
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2016, 12:11 PM »
I'd also recommend some weathering on your soft parts. Scuff 'em, scratch 'em, drag 'em through rocks... Make them look like they went through hell  ;D

"Hastaale bat norac n'ijaat be kad'verde."
"Scars on the back are a swordsman's shame."

Character Story, Vol. 1- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110135.0
Character Story, Vol. 2 (ACTIVE)- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150675.0
Writers Bloc #014

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2016, 10:02 PM »
I like the idea of every scar having a story behind it.  I've been considering the viability of truly authentic weathering by doing things in-costume that would cause damage to the kit (intentionally and unintentionally).  Is this something anyone has tried?  Would I be accepted as an OM with a kit in "perfect" condition?

I'd also recommend some weathering on your soft parts. Scuff 'em, scratch 'em, drag 'em through rocks... Make them look like they went through hell  ;D

Verco Nuhla

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2016, 10:11 PM »
I doubt they'd take too kindly to that, the least you could get away with is some light weathering and some scratches and scuffs throughout, maybe a deep gouge or blaster shot here and there. Mandalorians traditionally took pride in their scars and scrapes on their armor, so having a pristine set of armor would suggest that you weren't much of a soldier.

And seeing as your armor is steel, I'd say you're safe with "real-life weathering"  :P do any other gouges and pits you want to stand out, paint it how you like, then go nuts. I had some old steel plates I practiced on in my first attempt at building a kit, and when I was done painting, I literally threw them around the garage for about half an hour. My dad almost killed me  :laugh:

Character Story, Vol. 1- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110135.0
Character Story, Vol. 2 (ACTIVE)- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150675.0
Writers Bloc #014

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2016, 10:52 PM »
I just want to offer a word of caution with mixing paint brands. Sometimes they do not work together AT ALL. They may remain tacky and mushy, bubble, or just rub off. Be very careful and test it all out in the same order you plan on painting it. I'd hate to see a nice set of plates have to get stripped and redone!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  I'm no stranger to paints and the biggest mistake that leads to the results you describe is not allowing base coat paint to cure before transitioning to a product of different chemical makeup.

I will definitely be following your advice for testing compositions before spraying the actual armor though!

I just want to offer a word of caution with mixing paint brands. Sometimes they do not work together AT ALL. They may remain tacky and mushy, bubble, or just rub off. Be very careful and test it all out in the same order you plan on painting it. I'd hate to see a nice set of plates have to get stripped and redone!

K'raam Xrati

• Mark Hamilton the Red Mando, TB & DZ3203
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2016, 06:39 PM »

Reverend! Stick with one brand.

84 Career Invasions
MMCC #48 Trooping since September 2007
Kilted Mando #4

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Cape from Sidi Ren showed up this weekend; it's awesome!

Design inspired by the Mandalorian flag in The Force Awakens:

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2016, 09:14 PM »
I like the idea of every scar having a story behind it.  I've been considering the viability of truly authentic weathering by doing things in-costume that would cause damage to the kit (intentionally and unintentionally).  Is this something anyone has tried?  Would I be accepted as an OM with a kit in "perfect" condition?

You can have a kit in perfect condition.  It's just rare, since one of the whole aesthetics of the Star Wars Universe is, as Lucas put it, the "used future."  With the exception of some of the Storm Troopers, just about everything else in the movies has some sort of weathering or wear and tear. 

And that, by the way, is an awesome cape, vod.  Nice choice, and good work Sidi!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2016, 09:27 PM »
Looks like you're off to a good start vod. I do agree about the mixing paint brands thing.

Sidi did an awesome job on the cape. I've gotten a couple things from her myself.

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Backplate masking:

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 02:04 PM »
This looks like an excellent build thus far, especially that masking job on the backplate!

I know you're on the fence about your footwear, but those may be a bit too loafery.  I don't know if you plan on doing footwraps  or something to make them appear more boot like. Just something the app team may point out.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 10:15 AM »
I'm in the process of choosing whether to intentionally rust the armor, apply a primary paint, or leave it bare and call it ultrachrome.

First painting pass.

Putting some wear on.

This looks like an excellent build thus far, especially that masking job on the backplate!

I know you're on the fence about your footwear, but those may be a bit too loafery.  I don't know if you plan on doing footwraps  or something to make them appear more boot like. Just something the app team may point out.

Thanks!  I'm hoping the combination of flightsuit and metatarsal plates will make the loafers look less loafery but if it doesn't work out I've got real boots.

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 12:14 AM »
I've added a poll to the thread.  I need help deciding which option to go with.  Below is an image of the backplate with the accent color.  On the left my helmet visor painted Red Oxide, and on the right is a forearm guard I artificially rusted with a rust-promoting solution.  In your opinion, which of these looks the best?  Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:58 AM by Bjourk » Logged

Verco Nuhla

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48 AM »
I voted silver, but I wouldn't claim ultrachrome and leave it...

Weather the living daylights out of it. Add a little rust, a lot of scrapes and scratches and dents, some additional accent marks, black washes and grime... Go nuts. While a shiny-clean chrome finish would be cool, it doesn't exactly look like it's seen battle. You can certainly choose to only weather it lightly, but definitely make sure it's noticeable. As an English professor of mine once said (possibly paraphrasing), sometimes you have to "kill your darlings" and do things you hate doing - like weathering - to make it truly spectacular in the end.

Your armor is a canvas. Paint us a picture of glorious, grimy chaos and destruction ;D

Writers Bloc #014

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 01:59 AM »
Shiny and chrome.

One day, I'm going to actually do a chrome kit.  No idea of how to best go about it, though...

Haran Cuyan

• My convention name is "Blue Boba" I guess...
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 12:39 PM »
I actually really like the orange quite a bit

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 01:16 AM »
Thank you all for the insight.  Unfortunately I'm still having difficulty or procrastinating or something.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:31 AM by Bjourk » Logged

Verco Nuhla

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 02:38 AM »

THIS!!!

Balance the orange and silver, add some rust and weathering, and that visor... That is killer!

#1 is a little bland, and all the orange in #2 is a bit much... #3 has an excellent balance of the two while still allowing the blue to pop very nicely. I'm putting everything into pulling for that one  :P

Writers Bloc #014

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 08:59 PM »
THIS!!!

Balance the orange and silver, add some rust and weathering, and that visor... That is killer!

#1 is a little bland, and all the orange in #2 is a bit much... #3 has an excellent balance of the two while still allowing the blue to pop very nicely. I'm putting everything into pulling for that one  :P

I agree entirely! This is an awesome concept. I love seeing orange on the plates. It's just so bold and intimidating looking. I think number three with a mirrored visor would be killer.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Havelock

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 10:14 PM »
I'll throw in my vote for option 3, too.   8)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!