Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

She-Fett WIP

• 75 Replies

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
She-Fett WIP
« on: Jul 21, 2016, 05:46 PM »
So I'm finally making some progress and thought I'd start a work log.
This is my inspiration, the designers are looking forward to my interpretation of She-Fett.  I like this design since it has the classic Boba Fett feel but isn't sexualized like most of the other female Boba Fett's out there.

I worked on the belt today and will be adding one more grenade.
I got really frustrated with the snaps since they were not  securing tight at all. I think I needed to have "heavy duty" snaps. The ones I used were garbage and I might just glue snaps shut to keep them closed.

I don't think I'll be using this body suit or vest.
And I think I might have curved the shoulder armor too much. And they need more dirt.

Also I'm not happy with the 2 resin gauntlet rockets on my belt. Maybe it's my crappy sanding and painting job but they don't look like metal at all. 
I'm starting to lean away from resin parts and instead finding real items I can modify, like the grenade I made.

Also I know it's shunned but I did put 2 toy pistols in my holsters. These are just so something is in the holster and they won't be my primary weapon.

At this point I don't know if I want to have a jetpack  or  build a rocket launcher and carry extra rockets on my back.

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2016, 06:01 PM by Jaki » Logged

Dala Aran

• Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: She-Fett WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2016, 08:31 PM »
Here is the vest I'd like to use, it almost looks like a rubbery material but I think it's strong enough to hold chest armor.
I'm thinking of adding shoulder pads underneath. I'm really worried the helmet will look ridiculously large on me :/
Sorry for blurry photo, it was getting late.
Enough work for today. Tommorow I might tackle the custom shins.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 75 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2016, 08:44 PM »
So I'm finally making some progress and thought I'd start a work log.
This is my inspiration, the designers are looking forward to my interpretation of She-Fett.  I like this design since it has the classic Boba Fett feel but isn't sexualized like most of the other female Boba Fett's out there.

Also I'm not happy with the 2 resin gauntlet rockets on my belt. Maybe it's my crappy sanding and painting job but they don't look like metal at all. 
I'm starting to lean away from resin parts and instead finding real items I can modify, like the grenade I made.

Also I know it's shunned but I did put 2 toy pistols in my holsters. These are just so something is in the holster and they won't be my primary weapon.

Great looking kit Jaki, it is starting to come together from your original conceptual design to this WIP.  I especially like your holster/belt rig.

Double posting in not allowed on the forum, see here. (Section 3.3 -Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'. If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.

Use the "modify" button instead.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 89
mandalorianarmour.org

Dala Aran

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit confused, I was doing an update. Are we limited to one update per day?
(Please excuse my ignorance, this forum stuff is new to me)

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Your  kit is looking great!  I've seen the pictures that you are using for inspiration and think you have nailed the look. I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

Vorir Gah'Kurs

• Ruus'amoose
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Jaki! It looks stunning! Really dig the work you've put into it so far and eagerly awaiting to see the final product. The rockets are a pain in Resin, don't get me wrong (Dealing with the same right now) though perhaps an accent colour could make them look a little less fake, or even copper spray the front section. Oya Ner Vod!

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2016, 10:35 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit confused, I was doing an update. Are we limited to one update per day?
(Please excuse my ignorance, this forum stuff is new to me)

No problem! Yes, the general rule is one per day, but it's easy to go back and fix the issue by hitting modify in the upper right corner.

If you haven't done so already, start a WIP thread in the female armor section. My Ver'alor, Aria, regularly prowls over there and can help out if you have any questions.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Dala Aran

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Thankyou everyone for the kind words. I was worried how this would translate from 2D to 3D but I think it's do-able. And this is my first mando, I've only done soft parts for a Jawa and a Boushh. I have information overload right now. 

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2016, 09:29 AM »
I won't bother rewarning you about double posting. Karl Dha'Werda did that.

I am however moving this to the components section as you have actually started a build.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Dala Aran

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2016, 10:04 AM »
No problem! Yes, the general rule is one per day, but it's easy to go back and fix the issue by hitting modify in the upper right corner.

If you haven't done so already, start a WIP thread in the female armor section. My Ver'alor, Aria, regularly prowls over there and can help out if you have any questions.

Obviously I have no idea how forums work. I thought I was asked to notify the female section.

Dala Aran

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Today worked on thigh armor and strapping. The armor kept falling down so I'm going to need velcro on my body suit (which I didn't want to do).
And I hate snaps. This time, I used "heavy duty" and they didn't seem very secure either, maybe I'm hammering them in wrong.
At least I'm happy with my Aurebesh lettering and weathering.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2016, 05:53 PM »
Very nice WIP so far.

Dala Aran

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Are my brown leather straps on my thigh armor allowed with a black bodysuit? 
(I understand elastic is allowed on knees but must be same color as suit.)
I'm unclear from reading the CRL.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2016, 10:47 PM »
Yes that's fine. Elastic is the only thing that needs to be color-matched or hidden. Case and point, Jango's brown leather and blue flightsuit.

« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2016, 02:29 AM »
The She-Fett design is pretty awesome and you are really bringing it to life, i am excited to follow your progress, it looks amazing so far!

Ne shab'rud'ni - "Don't mess with me"

Cavious kit WIP

Cabur Akaata #86
Oribru Akaata #18

Druj Jes

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2016, 01:02 PM »
You are doing an awesome job!  We're not worthy, we're not worthy . (Obligatory Wayne's World reference )

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2016, 08:37 AM »
Great progress! Love where this kit is headed!

Oya vod!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Dala Aran

« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2016, 02:37 PM »
I need some advice on the knees please.
At first I thought I would make the knees from 3 pieces sintra but I don't know how to get them to meet up flush and be strong enough to not come apart.
So I thought instead to make the knee from one piece and I scored a line on each side with my knife to make it look like separate pieces.
Any thoughts on either construction?

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 25, 2016, 02:44 PM »
The scoring idea is likely the easiest. Maybe hit the lines with a dremel to get a thicker separation line? You wouldn't have to go all the way through, but enough to hit with black paint in the seams to differentiate between the parts.

Have you thought about using piano hinge and rivets on the knees? Would allow extra movement if needed on the sides, and would look bad shebs with the rivets. Alternatively you could even attach the smaller side bits with a strip of sintra behind. to give a gap, but still be one solid part. Paint the gaps again to make the illusion of separate parts. I am toying with this idea on my chest plates to allow for proper spacing at all times.

I'm full of bad ideas. Always here to help.

Oya vod!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009
« Reply #19 on: Jul 25, 2016, 04:13 PM »
I like the one piece better, it creates the illusion that it is separate pieces but its one which will hold form a whole lot better then two piece.

Ne shab'rud'ni - "Don't mess with me"

Cavious kit WIP

Cabur Akaata #86
Oribru Akaata #18

Druj Jes

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I come from making miniatures.  What I'd recommend is one piece with a  scored line. I use a panel scriber, and it works great.  Test on some scrap material to get the hang of it because it can cut deep quickly.  It will do very well for you. 

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74091scriber2/index.htm

Dala Aran

« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2016, 02:11 PM »
I come from making miniatures.  What I'd recommend is one piece with a  scored line. I use a panel scriber, and it works great.  Test on some scrap material to get the hang of it because it can cut deep quickly.  It will do very well for you. 

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74091scriber2/index.htm

Thank you,  It's decided knees and shin armor will be one piece scored.

Dala Aran

« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Ok finally some progress, bottom half is mostly done. I need to figure out a way to secure my knees so they don't shift around and ruin my spacing between thighs and shins. 
Also my armor vest is neoprene. I thought it would be a good idea since it's a sturdy fabric, but it's hot, not breathable at all. Might need to change it.
Not sure how this will hold up being worn for an hour but I think it's turning out ok.
And in case anyone is wondering I'm mostly using sew in snaps. One end glued to armor other sewed to fabric. That way I can change spacing if needed.
This mando is a lot of work!  The inspiration photo is below.
Any constructive criticism appreciated.

Also if anyone is wondering my thigh Aurebesh states "SNAFU" :)

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2016, 06:34 PM by Jaki » Logged

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2016, 06:16 PM »
I think the two most common methods for knees are Velcro strips and rare earth magnets.  My first kit I used Velcro strips and they seemed to separate when I would kneel or make big movements, so my next I'm going to to try the rare earth magnets.  You can sew in a small pocket, or pockets, inside the pant leg To hold the magnet and glue the other one to the knee pad.
Edit:
Oh yeah there is also a method using snaps, but form some reason I find the snaps very intimidating.

joshsurf

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2016, 06:28 AM »
I used Velcro to stop the knees from swinging around, but elastic was used to hold them up. Great looking kit, can't wait to see it done!

ey guys heres my build thread over on the main forum:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=104238.0
helmet:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96369.0
sniper rifle:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85582.0
go and have a look! let me know what you think!!
Modify message

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!