Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Draigas' armor kit WIP - Updates on page 5!

• 59 Replies

Draigas

• I am the storm.
Draigas' armor kit WIP - Updates on page 5!
« on: Apr 04, 2014, 12:43 AM »
Ok so I needed a break from working on the helmet.  Getting to the point where I'm getting stressed on it....

So I though I would start on my armor and go back later with a fresh view.

I purchased the armor from K'raam Xrati (Thank you by the way, very nice)

and after hours or probably days of lplaying with color schemes I think I landed on this one.

So tonight I started with the smaller pieces, oh before I forget THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for all the wonderful tutorials.

I started with the shoulder pauldrons and used the toothpaste method described in the weathering tutorial.

Which wound up like

Now I need to add some scorching marks to them.

And the knee pads....

I figured they would be marked and scratched more than the rest of the armor and I am pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Please let me know if you have any input or suggestions.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2016, 01:39 AM by Draigas » Logged

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Draigas' first armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2014, 01:12 AM »
Do you know who made your armor?

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2014, 01:21 PM »
Do you know who made your armor?

K'raam Xrati
You can order from him here
K'raam Xrati Store

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Watch carefully how much you battle damage your armor.  Don't overdo it so it ends up looking like leopard spots or polka dots.  Think about what areas will weather and which won't.

The great part about the metal armor is you can just paint it and then natrually weather it with sandpaper, rocks, the driveway, etc.  Keep in mind that high areas will weather, low areas usually do not.  Don't weather ALL of the edges, as it will look too fake.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:18 PM »
what do the plates look like on you vod ?

with K'raams plates one think you can do is before you paint them damage the paint that's already on them like this :

it then gives you some 3d damage ;)

Watch carefully how much you battle damage your armor.  Don't overdo it so it ends up looking like leopard spots or polka dots.  Think about what areas will weather and which won't.

This ^^

Plan your weathering and think about how each bit of damage came about, I like to have a story about each bit of damage and link several bits together

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:05 PM »
I'm kind of limited on my tools for working with the metal, except a dremel tool.  however I like the pre paint weathering damage.

I'm stil planning most of the damage to the armor. I figured however the kneepads would have more damage than the rest of armor. when ever I go to the field or range days my kneepads definitely wind up with more scuffs and scrapes than anything else in me. 
I figured the pauldrons were small enough to test work with incase I needed to redo them.

think I'll sit down with a wax pencil and Mark out some damage areas and reasons for the damage.

thanks for the input. always appreciate critiques and suggestions.

EDIT: I don't have anything to put the armor on to yet.  Once I get a vest or temporary scrubs or something I will get a pic up for more input.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2014, 05:26 PM by Draigas » Logged

Svik Katora

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Beware the polka dots. I am doing a full scale repaint for several reasons, and that's a big one.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:59 AM »
all the damage i did to my Metal plates was done with a dremal ;) I used one of the wire wheel attachments ;)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Ok so I was doing so good, or at least I thought I was....

Painted the front (chest, ab plate and diamond) yesterday.

I was pretty happy with the out come.

Then I started my weathering, I was happy until I did the ab plate.  :(

think that is salvageable?  Or am I going to have toe sand and repaint it?

:(

Svik Katora

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Totaly salvageable, weather the edges on the other plates a bit more, and try and get the weather lines a little more vertical, the ab plate would get weathered like that though from going prone a lot. (Especially if you're a sniper or marksman). Just try and weather a bit more on the sides and towards the bottom and I think you could even that out.

Also when you black wash it that can help make things more uniform.

Draigas

• I am the storm.
Re: Draigas' armor kit WIP - ab plate fixed...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Ok redid the ab plate, think it looks a lot better now.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
Re: Draigas' armor kit WIP - redid the ab plate...
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2014, 12:40 PM »
That looks much better now vod ;D Nice work !

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2014, 12:48 PM »
That looks much better now vod ;D Nice work !

Agreed .... I like it ...  ;D

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2014, 06:09 PM »
OK re-painted the shoulders and put on the Mando Skull and the family crest

Doing the templates

Painted

Also did a quick test fit of the armor.   Ignore the white shirt This will be replaced with a Brown vest in time.

Ok disclaimer, It was all fitting nice and straight until I picked up my phone....

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
Re: Draigas' armor kit WIP - redid shoulders and test fit!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Looks good vod ;)

the gut could do with coming up just a smidgen

Draigas

• I am the storm.
Re: Draigas' armor kit WIP - starting over
« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Ok so I am scrapping the original design and starting over. 

Many factors contributed, I couldn't get the colors I wanted to actually look like what I wanted in real life for one.  Then I started seeing some other ones that were similar in design, including a real nice one for sale over at DH (think it was bronze, but man whew)  Also I wasn't terribly happy with the way my scratch built helmet turned out, the dome was not as smooth as I wanted and the rim wound up getting lost in the bondo process.

So back to the drawing board. 

These are the 2 designs I have come down too and looking for any thoughts or advise.

The main difference being between the vests and capes.

For the helmets I'm looking at.

or

the color I'm going for is in between a dark yellow and a light orange.

Oh I might as well throw it out there, there was one more variation I thought I had ruled out but I do like it as well.

I'm thinking the vest colors would be a forest green or a royal blue with the helmet matching in parts.

Thoughts?  Too similar to any that are out there already?

I do already have and OD Green flight suit (which I was going to use) and light to medium blue jump/flight suit (which I now plan on using).

Svik Katora

Re: Draigas' armor kit WIP - SCRAPPED, starting over.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I have to say, I like the first on the best. If you pull it off right it will have an exotic look to it. Good luck. As far as advice, don't get colors that are too bright, you will start drifting towards circus mando. But if you get some muted more satin colors and weather them right it has a lot of potential.

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:51 PM »
. As far as advice, don't get colors that are too bright, you will start drifting towards circus mando. But if you get some muted more satin colors and weather them right it has a lot of potential. 

Agreed .... :rolleyes:
 Why So many Colors ? Is there any Significance or Meaning Behind them ?

If not ... Start with the Basics ... possibly Mandalorian protectors ?  ... I'm not telling you how to build your Mando
 but your Going to Drive yourself nuts if you make it Too Complicated ... Just my Opinion.

Good luck with your Build ...  ;)

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Man I liked them until you said the circus comment, now I can't un-see it.  :o

Ok kind of going the protector route I came up with this.

and

The third color in the helmet I picture to be like a bronze coloring, I really like the two tone of the helmet.

I also played with a version of the vest that was closer to the cape color....

ConDar Ward

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Yus ! !  Now that's looking Good !  ;)

I also love you Avatar pic ...  8)

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Going with the blue jumpsuit theme.

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Yus ! !  Now that's looking Good !  ;)

I also love you Avatar pic ...  8)

Thanks, I really wanted to make it (the original in my avatar) work but it just didn't look right to me in real life.  Then I found the one at the DH that was almost identical especially the helmet.

ConDar Ward

« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:06 PM »
So which one are you Deciding on ?

Draigas

• I am the storm.
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:45 PM »
So which one are you Deciding on ?
I think I 'm going with this one

I may wind up doing the red and blue one as a second kit later on some time.   I'm already sure that I will have more than one.

ConDar Ward

« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Most of us Do ... hahahha :laugh:

Your on the right path now ... Get to it Merc ! !

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!