Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ran's Scratch Build

• 6 Replies

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
Ran's Scratch Build
« on: Sep 10, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Heylo!

So I've been working on a scratch build based on RafalFett's awesome templates over on TDH. I chose Rafalfett's over the more common WOF templates for two reasons.
1: I printed both templates, but I couldn't get WOF to print right.
2: It's just not as commonly used, at least with the Mercs, so I figured I'd break from the crowd just a 'lil. Call me a hipster. :P

However, I have modified the templates a bit. I've widened the overall shape of the helmet, while keeping the front-to-back dimensions the same, in hopes to give the finished bucket a slightly wider face. This means that nearly every dimension of the templates have to be altered to fit the new helmet size ratio. I did this simply because of my personal taste of what a mando bucket should be shaped like, and to make it more unique instead of just an exact copy of Rafalfett's template. ;)

Here's a top shot. The white paper is the unmodified template, and you can see the cardboard under it is wider, making a fat egg shape.  :D

So now I've got the base done and I'm liking how it's looking. :D

And here's a question for you scratch build veterans. I'd like to harden and bondo the helmet at this stage before I put on the rest of the face and ears so I can have smoother more complete surface. So what do you guys use? Resin? Do you use any fiberglass cloth? Bondoglass seems like it would be brittle. I plan on casting this helmet, so it doesn't necessarily need to be indestructible, I just want it to be a smooth and detailed surface.

Any feedback is extremely appreciated.  ;)

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."
Re: Ran's Scratch Build
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Nice work Ran! I have lots of respect for those that scratch build their helmets.  8) Keep up the awesome work.

Ran

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2017, 02:13 AM »
Nice work Ran! I have lots of respect for those that scratch build their helmets.  8) Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks ner'vod!

I just like to make things my own, you know? ;)

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2017, 03:53 AM »
Thanks ner'vod!

I just like to make things my own, you know? ;)

I know that feeling   :)

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:34 AM »
Hello Ran,

I'd like to harden and bondo the helmet at this stage before I put on the rest of the face and ears

My suggestion would be to resin the outside and glass the interior with cloth with the face and ear caps on.  I would keep the bondo for the end.

If you intend on casting your bucket, I would finish it with out the ear caps only and add them after(casting the ear caps separatly).  mainly for easy de-molding.  This is just my way of seeing it, I have never cast anythings.  My bucket was done using WoF template.

I would not advise on glueing the face after the resin/glass step, mainly for solidity issue.

Hope it helped.

Beleck

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Two coats of Fiberglass resin on the outside, one inside and then lay your matt or cloth and resin over the top of that. Bondo is only as strong as the material at its backing, flexible paper means cracks galore. Hard rigid fiberglass means strong bondo. I'd say if you resin the inside she'll that you'll need to use resin to adhere the parts together for the strongest possible bond. But that me using what's on hand that's already a key component.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Ran

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll get cracking on it, but progress may be slow because of things like "life" and "work" and "responsiblities"... whatever those are. :P

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!