Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first Mando (WIP)

• 58 Replies

arc97

My first Mando (WIP)
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:40 PM »
Alright, this will be my first time attempting costuming...ever. Here is my concept.

I want to try for a more narrow visor than usual and I was wondering if there are any helmets sold like that. Also, what would be a good thickness for the Sintra and where could I buy it in my area? (Hampton Roads, VA).

I look forward to hearing advice from you all. I love your kits and can't wait to have my own.  ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2016, 04:07 PM by arc97 » Logged

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: My first Mando design (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:37 AM »
Looks like a pretty solid concept, vod. My armor's made of 6mm sintra. It's harder to shape, but more durable than 3mm.
A quick search for your area produced:

Ain Plastics Inc
1347 Diamond Springs Rd Ste 100
Virginia Beach VA 23455

They deal with PVC foam sheeting (Sintra), they just call it PAILIGHT. I'd suggest calling them first to make sure they have exactly what you're looking for. You can also look to sign shops for sintra, but the price they're going to quote you varies. I was quoted $35 for 2'x2' of 6mm, so it may not be the most cost effective option.

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:10 AM »
For narrower visors you want TCW deathwat helmets. TMA are a good choice. Nice concept vod.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

arc97

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:05 PM »
Looks like a pretty solid concept, vod. My armor's made of 6mm sintra. It's harder to shape, but more durable than 3mm.
A quick search for your area produced:

Ain Plastics Inc
1347 Diamond Springs Rd Ste 100
Virginia Beach VA 23455

They deal with PVC foam sheeting (Sintra), they just call it PAILIGHT. I'd suggest calling them first to make sure they have exactly what you're looking for. You can also look to sign shops for sintra, but the price they're going to quote you varies. I was quoted $35 for 2'x2' of 6mm, so it may not be the most cost effective option.
  Thank you Vailin Flynn for the information on the armor. :)

For narrower visors you want TCW deathwat helmets. TMA are a good choice. Nice concept vod.
  Ni ceta, Carid Vhett, I didn't use the right words to describe the visor design. I'm not looking for narrow as much as more angled(?)
Here's a picture of the mando design compared to a normal helmet.

left is the above concept, right is the normal mando maker.  The bottom of the visor slims down and the cross of the visor is narrow and maybe curved more.

arc97

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Alright, I think I found a helmet to my liking visor wise. How is the quality of the NME Stalker and is it an approved helmet?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:24 PM »
Stalker is good. NME have been back logged for a while now (couple of months) just be prepared to wait.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

arc97

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2015, 09:55 PM »
So here is the armor templates cut out to poster board and taped to me. Whatcha think vods? I haven't started on the knees yet but that will be next.

its a little crooked but I hope the proportions are right. I'm using the Jango Fett 5'6" template.  What is a good material to make the vest out of? I plan on using scrubs in lieu of a flight suit.

Catika

• "No permanent harm done."
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2015, 10:18 PM »
I used duck cloth for my vest. It's 9.99/yd at Joann fabrics, but you can probably find a coupon to use. I used scrubs for my flight suit as well. I bought an extra pair of pants to use as sleeves since I couldn't find a long sleeve top that would work.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Everything looks like a size too large to me. For sizing, it helps if you wear a light colored shirt that we can tell where the torso ends and the sleeves begin. Also a straight on instead of angled shot is better. I'd say take off  a 1/4 inch on the sides of the plates to start with. Is the bottom of the ab plate sitting at your navel?

arc97

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Everything looks like a size too large to me. For sizing, it helps if you wear a light colored shirt that we can tell where the torso ends and the sleeves begin. Also a straight on instead of angled shot is better. I'd say take off  a 1/4 inch on the sides of the plates to start with. Is the bottom of the ab plate sitting at your navel?
I think I'm going to try to retake pictures with a lighter shirt as you said. Also the shirt I was wearing was a bit too large, so time for round two (and more tape)

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Agreed, everything is looking a bit large.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Also, for procuring sintra, you can ask your local sign shops if they have some scrap you can scavenge.  I got enough sintra last week to make (I think) at least two full sets of armor.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

arc97

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Time for round 2. I decided to use the next smallest template before I try measuring and trimming.

I only did the torso this time to save on paper in the case it doesn't fit.

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2015, 10:22 AM »
To my rookie eyes, that looks a lot better.  Wait for a more trained eye to give an opinion, but I think that might be the size you need.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Looks better, but I would still recommend that you shave about a 1/4" off the outside edges of each plate. Otherwise, you'll have trouble crossing your arms in front of you without the plates pinching you, or getting bunched up.

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Take off a little on the outside, about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. You should be able to move onto your armor material of choice and we can fine tune any adjustments from there.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #16 on: Jun 14, 2015, 04:56 PM »
It does look better, although you may want to elongate the chest and abb plates vertically to compensate for your body shape. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

arc97

« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
I promise, I'm still here. I've been working as well as prepping for college. I'm still working on acquiring supplies and I hope to have a real update soon.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2015, 01:34 AM »
I feel your pain.  It's all good, vod.  We're here when you can post updates, we're here when you can't.   :D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Yeah, I've had a lot of stop and go on my kit, as long as you come back to it you're doing okay.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

arc97

« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Quick question. Sintra is foam PVC? I've never seen it so I assumed it was a solid sheet of plastic.

Havelock

« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2015, 07:45 PM »
It's "expanded cell foam sheet" I believe.  It's the stuff they make realtor's signs out of.  Well, the ones that aren't wood or sheet metal.   :laugh:  So yeah, solid sheet of plastic.

arc97

« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2015, 07:48 PM »
But it's marketed as "PVC foam board" though, right? Just wanna make sure I'm looking at the right stuff

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2015, 07:51 PM »
If you ask a sign shop then 'PVC foam board' will probably do the trick. Ask for scraps and you should get plenty of smaller pieces, you'll most likely need to buy a full sheet from them to make the chest, ab, collar, back, and cod pieces.

arc97

« Reply #24 on: Aug 05, 2015, 02:06 PM »
So I now have two 4' x 4' sheets of 3mm sintra. Soon the armor shall be made *maniacal laughter w/ echo*

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!