Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Crushgaunt WIP

• 23 Replies

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Crushgaunt WIP
« on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:31 PM »
I'm sooo excited to start this part of my build! I've been looking forward to building these since I first began thinking through my kit design. I've got a few different designs floating around in my head. I'll see about transferring them to paper in the near future.

This is my base. I saw a tutorial by Kuu that showed how to make gauntlets from 4" PVC pipes and piano hinges.

I'll work from there.

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Ju'siik Kelborn

Re: Crushgaunt WIP
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Me either! :D Vor'e, they are leather. I got them at a store near me called Menard's.

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Maljohn Han'Tor

• "I have a bad feeling about this."
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:08 AM »
Looking forward to following this one.

Sith killed my Mudder! Sith killed my Fadder! Sith killed my people!  They took my fadder’s sward!

Mandalorian Riders #0015, Nerf-herders #09, B.E.A.R.D.S.  #062, B.O.M.B. #35, Kilted Mandalorian brigade #22, B.O.O.M. #05,  VRCA  #60, XMG  #10, Iron Fang #4, KOVA #13, M.A.R.S. #40, M5 #64, L.O.B. #11

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Here are some drawings of armor patterns that I had thought of.

I like the square one and square/diamond combo ones best. I thought about overlapping chevrons on the arms, but since I don't have Legacy armor, I don't think that would work well (I have the normal modern armor plates).

Thoughts? Criticism (other than my drawings stink)? :)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2015, 12:12 PM »
If I were you I would work with the detailing that's already in your glove. Long thin vertical strips in between the ribbing.  Spikes at your knuckles, because that seems to be a defining characteristic of crushgaunts, haha. I highly recommend cutting out your fingerplates in paper, attaching them to your gloves, and seeing how they move on your hand. I'm a tactile person, and it helped me refine my shaping.

Also, the diamond-shaped finger configurations may not give you as much finger coverage as you may want.  I would recommend trying to make them interlocking, though you don't have to.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2015, 01:00 PM »
If I were you I would work with the detailing that's already in your glove. Long thin vertical strips in between the ribbing.  Spikes at your knuckles, because that seems to be a defining characteristic of crushgaunts, haha. I highly recommend cutting out your fingerplates in paper, attaching them to your gloves, and seeing how they move on your hand. I'm a tactile person, and it helped me refine my shaping.

Also, the diamond-shaped finger configurations may not give you as much finger coverage as you may want.  I would recommend trying to make them interlocking, though you don't have to.

Vor'e for the suggestions Kavryn! I'll definitely be cutting paper designs out and taping them to my gloves to see how I like it. :) I'll post some up when I do.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Can you link to that PVC gauntlet tutorial?

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Sure vod.

Here you are. :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:20 PM »
Here are the gauntlet parts of my crushgaunts. They've been cut and shaped (sort of).

They just need the inside edges straightened out and the hinges can go on.

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:51 PM »
Woohoo! The left gauntlet is "done"!  :D

In all reality, I've got some filling and alignment issues that need to be worked out, but the first armored piece is together and feeling awesome!  8)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2015, 12:32 AM »
So as not to upset the forum mods too much, here is the same picture taken with welders gloves instead of the deerskin leather gloves I had before.

Overall, these feel much better. The wrist portion of the other glove kept pulling out from under the gauntlet, so I got these instead. These ones stay put. The only downsides are that the index finger keeps coming out of the slot slightly when go to grab something and that they are a bit on the warm side. The finger coming out will be somewhat remedied when I put finger armor on it.

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Ok, I've got the gaunts done (crushgaunts are this weird middle ground between soft parts and gauntlets). The right one needed some adjustment.

I'm hoping to bondo them either tonight or tomorrow. Then comes the fun part of designing all of the plates. :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:21 PM »
I've been doing some thinking and have a question for you all. The crushgaunts are the gloves themselves with armor plating and does not include the vambraces (what we call gauntlets), right?

Vor'e!

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2015, 07:08 AM »
I got my question answered in the other location of this thread. From now on, I'll just be posting updates to the gloves (crushgaunts).

I got the base templates done and on the glove.  8)

The top/side.

I'm pretty please with how they turned out. The next steps are to start getting the armor plates cut out, and templates cut out for the left hand.

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015, 09:34 AM by Madviola » Logged

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Oh yeah. 8)

Got the base plates cut out and shaped. They need cleaned up a bit, but I'm pleased with the progress.

I need to enclose the finger caps, among other things. Then I'll see about additional decorations. :D

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:35 AM »
Good luck using fine motor skills ever again =D

Looks neat though. You gonna give those square plates any more of a curve or you gonna leave them as is?

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:38 AM »
Seriously...  :P

Thanks! Rounding as in the edge of the plate, or shaping the plate with a little more arch?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:49 AM »
As in giving it more arch. :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:59 AM »
Gotcha. Yeah, I'll give it more arch before it's all said and done. Thanks for the tip!

Congrats on making OM, btw. :)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2015, 01:03 AM »
No problem ;D

Thanks! You're making pretty decent progress towards that goal yourself :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2015, 08:33 AM »
Thanks! Some days it seems like it will never get done  :o and other days pieces come together very nicely.  8)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:38 PM »
I would like to officially declare that crushgaunts are now cannon as of TFA. (Trumpet Fanfare)

This is from the TFA Visual Dictionary. 8)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:25 AM »
So I decided to try my hand at using sintra instead of 4" PVC. Overall, I like working with it better. Not the least of which is that I can work on it in my house. :) The wife won't let me run a jig saw indoors....  :P

Some more plate reshaping to be done, the rest of the finger caps need to be fashioned and bondoed.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!