Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dresdon Acacin MK6.3: Destroyer Helmet in Stainless Steel & Bronze

• 214 Replies

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
EEEEEKKKK! A wall of text!

Oki,  I was supposed to be modifying my backplate last night; But I was still test-fitting it 'till like 3am(forgot I was wearing it and didn't get any work done on it, so I started working on my Buy'ce) I had alread made the cheeks, Tvisor plate, and the sorrounding base wall(err, kinda fail cheeks and base wall)   So I started by redoing the basewall thing out of some Stainless steel plated Microwaev houseing, and I tried jb welding the front and 'wall a couple times before-but it kept cracking because I was trying to bend it too much >:( So I poprivited all the pieces and broke 3 1/8" MasterCrap "Proffesional grade metal bits"  fail @ quality after drilling 200 holes and I guess if I got 6 for $6.99, expect to go through about half.   I also impaled my finger on half a drill bit stuck in the helmat, but thats another story alltogether.

So after that I started looking for a dome of sorts and stole my Dogs' Stainless steel salad bowl water bowl to make the dome. I thhen hammered the flat bottom out a bit to make it more rounded and so I would ned to put less Brondo-glass over ther top's hammer marks. So anyways-I continued by hammering the folded rim plat and trimming that off withh an angle grinder and clamped everything in place.  'Stainless is the ffastest way to ruin drill bits-teh ehat generated by drilling thropugh stainless to be more specifit actualy. So I only got about 11 holes drilled through the dome without a bit breaking ;D Got all that rivited in place and I then hammered thhem all flat on my I-beam Anvil with a 5lbs sledge.   I had also taken some electronics apart earlier, and decided to use the fan/plug plate from a PC Power box. It will look prety awesome with a blue light-up fan :rolleyes:

I made some rough earcaps out of 2mm aluminum and I'll be puttitng some pieces of circuitry behind them but their hard -wired laser computer mouse circuits, so I wired just teh red LED and it;;'s going to light-up the circuitry and look rly awesome. I was doing this 'till like 3am,so I forogt were I put my sister';s camera with it all the pics  :-X
Here are my concepots I had made a while back and 6 days ago.

I got the idea for that last concept while playing RuneScape lolz ;D^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2019, 09:30 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Acacin's Metal Hemlat WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Herea are some pics of my current progress.

I discoverd the bowl fit nicely on my head while wearing some cocoa puffs for breakfast

Should I go with reguler T visor or pointed botom ofthe T?

This shot makes me kinda like the reguler T though

The visor plate is 1mm brass. And It'sreally sharp and jagged around the edges(couggh couggh angle grinder used most of the time) But,I debured it best I could with a file and I'm going to coat the inside with duct sealer over the seams-then I'll sleep in my armour sometime, and not call it back he next day   jk XD

I also made tghe helmat wing things out'a 1mm Mrine grade brass(same as visor). Best part,    few peoplehave all metal helmats don't they?   let alone one so light, its only about 1 1/2 lbs atm.    
I've alsoordered some red EL wire from my mfriend Burger King and I'll be making a mock-hud display that will be just bright enought so peole can only just make out that its there, and so it somewhat makes teh visor glow  :D

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2011, 12:04 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2011, 11:20 AM »
looks pretty good to me

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2011, 11:26 AM »
I did a bit of work on teh cheeks, migty-puttyed in the gaps and it will be quite solid.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2011, 08:36 AM »
The dome looks a bit rough...do you still have some work to do on it to smooth it out?

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Yes, I'llmbe doing some plannishing on it on a compressed gas cylinder and then some bondo-glass to make it smooth and so it looks good.  I may just put bondoglass over it as-is because it sits perfectly on my head with 1mm craft foam padding in the dome. I'll be layering the inside with craft foam after it has been debured as not to cut my ears off.

and heres a video of teh helmat and I showed my DL44 in it to keep it from being too short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMMxjYMQn6Y

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:08 PM »
I think its great that you can build a metal helmet, but at the end of the day it will need filler etc. So what's the point or difference between metal or a cast bucket ?

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:13 PM »
well,
1:cant afford    lol
2:can;t find any I really like and M-DSB isn;t making any atm
3:the brass parts of it will be sanded down to expose the shiny brass I got the brass for free so it;s kinda cheaper for me to makethe helamt because i chave all the materials lyeing around.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:56 PM »
All fair point's ! LOL Good luck on the build mate ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2011, 12:09 AM »
O tis liek decorateing a cake, and with a metal dome I get to shoot at it with a .22 to make a dent =D    But I clippedit with a CSmachete across the side of thedome so it looks like some kind of blaster ricochet or I cought the tip of a lightsaber on it or something.   Or a certain jetii was force-throwing rocks at me >.>

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Main bondo-ing is pretty much done.   Working on earcaps now. And my head'sto fat to fit any reguler sized PC fans back there-so it looks like I'm just gonna have to get creative.......
Started last night by bondo-ing the dome...

Sanded it, then applied spot-filler

sanded again, then bondo'd cheeks and rear vent area

Oh and I added 2 fiberglass contactor insolators

Got all that bondo sanded down,

and I havnt stoppedworking on it, so more progress will be up soon. And heres a vid that goes into more detail.

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:12 PM »
gar....um...the lid looks a little tall and narrow, are you going to build up the bondo or.....?

Where did you get the styrofoam head?  I could use one of those....

Aliit orishya taldin.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2011, 12:20 AM »
The dome seems pretty much fine after all this other work (video)

My mom bought the manequin head at a craft store a week back. I tried decapitateing a manequin a bit before that,but it had a wire frame and it binded on my longsword causeing it rip its head in half.

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011, 12:33 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2011, 10:02 PM »
...plus those creepy mannequin eyes...following you...accusing you ;D

Aliit orishya taldin.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Check this out!
I got bonus marks in tech class for doing something I would'a done at home anyways =D (making this)

thas what its gonna look like :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2017, 03:31 AM by Thaxos » Logged

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Check this sh*t out!@
I got bonus marks in tech class for doing something I would'a done at homeanyways =D(makeing this)

thas what its gonna look like :rolleyes:
Gotta love ol boba comics, this is the one with jodo right?

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2011, 06:45 PM »
I agree entirely Ranovla,
in other news-my trusty S&W workknife's blade has snapped in the most unlikely of places. Not teh tip-but anyways,point of me mentioning this is because I willnot be getting much(if any) work done on this for a bit, but I did get a bit done today on therear vent and I will update this post with the linkto it on youtube.   As you may haev already figured out, work knife=most used tool in my posession. So I'vegota phone up Smith & Wessen and see if theblade shattering goes under the lifetimewarrenty.

Arashi

« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2011, 09:20 PM »
Looks like it is coming along great, loving all the electronics.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2011, 06:48 AM »
Ihave some ELwire arriving soon. but thats going in near the end. :o

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Youtube video imbededs stopped working so I;m reposting them.

Made this one saturday morning
and I made these 3 sunday afternoon-I edited the videos to haveanotions-but i guess they arn't public yet.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2011, 02:25 AM »
Looks great so far, but could you take some clear pic's ? Maybe some outside ?  ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2011, 06:29 AM »
Soon-I only get to work on it on weekends >.<

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 23, 2011, 12:50 AM »
"Shut up it's not perfect!" LMAOOO I LOVE IT!!! :P anyway, I love the helmet!!

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2011, 06:28 PM »
AAAAAAAAHHHHH!@&^
Wall of pictures incomeing! E.T.A. 2 hours!

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2011, 09:10 PM »
AAAAAAAAHHHHH!@&^
Wall of pictures incomeing! E.T.A. 2 hours!
*redneck accent* Ah man! I can;t wait for them pictures maaaaaan

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!