Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP first kit

• 30 Replies

Mando727

• Shoot first, then ask questions
WIP first kit
« on: Feb 05, 2023, 10:08 PM »
Well I am starting a post-imperial build so here it is. Have all the armor printed and ready to start sanding/priming. Let’s see how it goes!!

Mando727

Re: WIP first kit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:37 AM »
Did some priming and battle damage with the soldering iron. Bondo is next and then more
Primer to smooth out the jagged edges!!

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2023, 11:29 AM »
Did some priming and battle damage with the soldering iron. Bondo is next and then more

Great job so far Vod!  Those print lines are very minimal and bondo next will help remove them completely.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 96
mandalorianarmour.org

Man•doh

• "A Mandalorian with a jetpack, IS a weapon"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:09 PM »
The soldering iron is a great idea. Thanks for sharing

Mando727

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2023, 09:40 PM »
Update:
Sanded and primed
Just did gloss black base coat
A few areas left to sand, re paint with black then chrome coat is next!!

Soft goods are shipped and on the way (custom flight suit from Leather Fashion Valley and new bucket shipped as well…will update with pics once received!!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:30 AM »

That looks awesome! Did you design the files yourself or take them off a website. I'm looking for files rn.

Mando727

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2023, 12:37 PM »
That looks awesome! Did you design the files yourself or take them off a website. I'm looking for files rn.

These files are Alter Ego I believe. A friend of mine printed these for me. Alter Ego can be found on Etsy.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2023, 03:50 PM »
Solid start.  Looking forward to seeing this one continue.  :like:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Mando727

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2023, 09:22 AM »
Thank you! Means a lot. Looking forward to progressing with this build.

Mando727

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2023, 10:59 AM »
Update:
Flight suit, new bucket (raw print) and belt pouches have arrived! Pairing this flight suit with some high black boots feels good, may switch to boba style short shoes that are painted all black, we'll see. Today the chrome paint will be applied to the armor to start. Then sanding and applying bondo to bucket for priming. Will update accordingly. Still waiting on cumberbund and custom double holster style belt. Pics to follow! Any input is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Man•doh

• "A Mandalorian with a jetpack, IS a weapon"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2023, 03:23 PM »
Flight suit looks pretty good in the picture, how does it feel?

Mando727

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06:31 PM »
Feels and fits great. It has a nylon mesh liner on the inside and the legs have zippers about a foot up from the bottom to help give it the "taper" look and feel. I had it custom made and then sent directly to my tailor for tailoring. Can't wait to get the belt/holsters to see how it all looks.

Mando727

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2023, 08:02 AM »

Armor is ready for 2K clear coat.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2023, 09:48 AM »
This is looking great so far :like: keep up the good work!

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Mando727

« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2023, 11:30 AM »
Update--

Armor
The 2k clearcoat was sprayed. Then the application of liquid latex on "paint chipping/weathered" areas. Afterward I sprayed a black coat of the Montana Gold spray. The another application of liquid latex expanding over some of the black areas. Then I sprayed a finish coat with the Gravel Montana Gold. While the paint was still tacky I used a metal pick to apply some additional weathering on the ridges or areas where the most probable surface contact will take place. Still not 100% satisfied with the look but will be buffing the finish coat with 0000 steel wool to remove any loose or semi-loose debris in the paint and blend the overall finish to a dull color.

Soft Parts
I ordered a granite colored cumberbund as well as a neckseal that will match my flight suit color. They should be here in the next few days. My leather worker is waiting on a few parts from JJ Industries to finish the belt and holsters. Going for double blaster look. Blasters were ordered from a vendor on Etsy and they should also arrive in the next few days. Will update accordingly.

Any input on the overall aesthetic of the armor would be appreciated. More to come.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2023, 05:17 PM »
The layers are looking good!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Mando727

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2023, 08:22 AM »
Update - As we are nearing Megacon Orlando its crunch time. Nearly finished the upper armor with the exception of the bucket and back plate. The bucket is arriving today as the previous one I had posted was too small with my padding. Tasset plates and knee plates will be here today as well. I will have 3 weeks to finish the bucket, tasset plates, knee armor and back plate so we'll see. The iron heart for the chest plate will be primed today and I should have that done by mid-week. Will update once completed.

Feedback would be amazing on the weathering and blackwash (or perhaps lack thereof?) Looking at a lot of armor I see the blackwash being done on the edges and all cracks/crevices, I wonder if the gauntlets need more? Also, the electronic boxes on the gauntlets are almost a chrome like finish, wondering if I should paint them gray like the rest of the armor? Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2023, 09:27 PM »
Personally I'd love to see a little more weathering on the gauntlets but you've kept it pretty consistent with the rest of the pieces.  As far as the color goes, that's more of a personal choice.  The chrome finish does make those items stand out more.  I personally would be inclined to paint them but as I stated earlier, that is entirely up to you.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Mando727

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2023, 05:47 PM »
Understood, would you recommend more paint chipping or would more of the black/brown wash be acceptable for the gauntlets?

Mando727

Re: WIP first kit - Kit Update @ MegaCon Orlando 2023
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2023, 07:06 PM »
This will serve as a massive update for the progress of the kit. Based upon feedback received this past weekend I need to fix some fitment issues as well as do the entirety of the soft part weathering. Any and ALL feedback is greatly appreciated!! I was also told by a member that my all my armor needs to be re-black/brown washed and then clear coated again with matte clear coat. I know what I want it to look like but am having a hard time getting it there. As i mentioned above any and all help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2023, 08:36 PM »
I totally missed your question  :(

Sounds like you got some good advice. I'm also fairly certain I saw you a MegaCon.  Not sure we ended up in a pic together, but I was one of the two aqualorians  wandering around the booth.

Looking forward to seeing the updates!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2023, 06:13 PM »
A amazing start, I especially love the colors and the gauntlets you got! Very very good, I look forward to seeing more from this!

Weapon W.I.P. Here
Armor W.I.P. Here
Helmet W.I.P. Here

Mando727

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2023, 10:39 PM »
Update:

To make sure I am in accordance with the CRL's for post-imperial I have added two thigh plates. Pictured below. I also weathered the flightsuit and flak vest. The photos I took below were sent to my Ruusalor for a kind "pre" pre-application and my fix list was this:

1. Need balaclava
2. Chest plate was off center, needs to be centered.
3. Knee armor is sagging, needs to be straight and even
4. Thigh plates floating a bit at the tops, maybe layer them underneath the holsters
5. Back plate bottom corners are floating, need to lay flat/flush with flack vest
6. No microphone for application photos - remove it.

I have addressed everything with the exception of the back plate issue. (I tried to use a heat gun and may have ruined it :(. We'll see. I am going to sew in some magnets for the back plate to connect to, so it lays flatter. I will be finishing this in the next few days and post an update.

If anyone else is glaring or needs to fixed please let me know!! Thanks and I look forward to updating in the next few days then on to Pre-App!!

Mando727

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2023, 10:12 PM »
Update

This will serve as a massive update from my Pre-app fixes. Flightsuit (jacket and pants), vest, belt, belt items, gloves and boots all received additional weathering. See photos below.
For the flight jacket, pants, vest and gloves I used various colors (ochre sand, grey and mars black) in an airbrush and then heat treated them to make sure they will be permanent.

Mando727

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2023, 10:13 PM »
Update Continued

On the belt I started with some sandpaper on the common wear spots like the holster edges, top and bottom edges of the belt and did some in the flat area to blend in the leather veins giving it a whitish wear look. Other areas I used some dry brush acrylic with a greyish silver color.

Moving to the cartridges and buckles I used agrax and nuln oil on them after hitting the bare metal with coarse sand paper.

Finally on the boots I started with a bit finer grit sand paper (320) as to achieve a scrapped look but still preserve the leather then used dry brush acrlic paint in wear areas like the creases on the top and finally used the airbrush to spray a light grey/white color on any heavy use areas that would crease. This was also heat treated using a heat gun to lock it in. In additional I did walk with them and kick, scrape and drag my feet on the pavement so they do have a bit finer of wear but i'm not sure how well the photo picks it up.

Any and all feedback is certainly appreciated!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!